SCCM Update Windows Server procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCM Update Windows Server procedure

Hi All I have a large corporate windows environment consisting of 300 plus windows servers they are a variety of Win2008. Win2008r2, Win2012 and Win2012r2.
    I wish to roll out updates to all these servers with SCCM and was wondering what other IT staff do who would be facing a similar task.
    I would imagine some of you would have the luxury of a test lab, unfortunately I do not have this luxury.

Any constructive input would be appreciated, thank you.

Re: SCCM Update Windows Server procedure

I suspect we need a lot more information before any considered answer is possible!

Do you have any SCCM training under your belt, or any staff who have such training? What SCCM experience do you have?

As far as testing goes, most large organisations have shedloads of old servers etc which can be used to set up some sort of lab, or spare capacity on virtualisation hosts, then use trial versions of the products. If you have no other experience, I would strongly recommend that
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by LittleSledge View Post
      Hi All I have a large corporate windows environment consisting of 300 plus windows servers they are a variety of Win2008. Win2008r2, Win2012 and Win2012r2.
      I wish to roll out updates to all these servers with SCCM and was wondering what other IT staff do who would be facing a similar task.
      I would imagine some of you would have the luxury of a test lab, unfortunately I do not have this luxury.

Any constructive input would be appreciated, thank you.
      What's wrong with WSUS??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        What's wrong with WSUS??

There is nothing wrong with WSUS, SCCM uses WSUS as its engine, I guess the answer I was really looking for was what are other IT staff doing with SCCM and update management of there servers, (not workstations cause that's basic stuff).

Do you create collections based on OS type as in a collection to only update Win2012r2 server then one for Win2008r2 servers.

Or do you go by application, as in you have a collection to only update all SQL servers, then a collection update only Terminal servers etc.

We do have staff that have had some basic training in SCCM however we are a pretty busy shop and don't always have time to spend weeks at a time working on the one application.

If any members on here have implemented a procedure for updating servers with SCCM I would like to hear how you went about it.

Thanks for your posts guys

Comment

Working...
        X