Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCCM - Seeking Command Line Help For Disabling System Protection & UAC in Win7 Images

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCM - Seeking Command Line Help For Disabling System Protection & UAC in Win7 Images

Hi all,

I am building a Windows 7 base image in SCCM 2012 (with which I am VERY green). In these images, I would like UAC and System Protection to be disabled.

I assume there is a way to do this via the Task Sequence Editor (see attached screenshot), but I need to know the commands.

And I'll be damned if I can find the answers I need, even with the help of the almighty

Anyone? Help? Thanks!

CB
    Attached Files

Re: SCCM - Seeking Command Line Help For Disabling System Protection & UAC in Win7 Im

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
    Hi all,

I am building a Windows 7 base image in SCCM 2012 (with which I am VERY green). In these images, I would like UAC and System Protection to be disabled.

I assume there is a way to do this via the Task Sequence Editor (see attached screenshot), but I need to know the commands.

And I'll be damned if I can find the answers I need, even with the help of the almighty

Anyone? Help? Thanks!

CB
    I presume you mean System Restore??

You should be able to do that with GPO's and registry keys.

Here is some guidance for the UAC part

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...nfigmanagerosd

Using the same method as above here are the registry keys for System Restore

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-f7f23450aee1

Comment

Re: SCCM - Seeking Command Line Help For Disabling System Protection & UAC in Win7 Im

The way which I used to do this was to disable UAC in the base/golden image.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding!

I was ablt to kill UAC by running the reg key in a cmd script from here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-command-line/

Worked like a charm.

Regarding System Restore/System Protection, what I am trying to accomplish is what is in the attachment. System Protection OFF on all local drives and System Restore disabled. Not sure if the two (System Restore and System Protection) are one in the same? Two different things? Intertwined?

And need to disable via command line for use in SCCM.

Help! Thanks!

CB
        Attached Files

Comment

I can understand wanting to disable UAC, but system restore has got me out of many bad situations. I would think twice about disabling it.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
            I can understand wanting to disable UAC, but system restore has got me out of many bad situations. I would think twice about disabling it.
            Duly noted. But these are merely client PCs and should "death" occur, no biggie. Can be rebuilt in no time with no data loss. Would rather kill the background services, etc, and keep HDD space/cleanliness.

Comment

Duly noted. But these are merely client PCs and should "death" occur, no biggie. Can be rebuilt in no time with no data loss. Would rather kill the background services, etc, and keep HDD space/cleanliness.
              The registry key I posted above should do exactly what you want.

I haven't had anytime to spool up a VM to try but I will if I get a chance.

***EDIT***

The key above only disables the configuration of System Restore.

This key will disable it

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/libr...edded.60).aspx
              Last edited by wullieb1; 19th August 2014, 11:35.

Comment

Thanks Wullie,

Seems this is far more involved than I thought, and honestly, not worth the hassle. There is more to it than merely System Restore. System Protection still runs. But no worries! Thanks, all.

CB

Comment

Thanks Wullie,

Seems this is far more involved than I thought, and honestly, not worth the hassle. There is more to it than merely System Restore. System Protection still runs. But no worries! Thanks, all.

CB
                  What do you mean by system protection??

If you mean the System Protection in the box in the System restore section then its disabled when System Restore is turned off, even though it shows as on.

Nothing will happen if System Restore is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    What do you mean by system protection??

If you mean the System Protection in the box in the System restore section then its disabled when System Restore is turned off, even though it shows as on.

Nothing will happen if System Restore is disabled.
                    Have a read through this

http://terrytlslau.tls1.cc/2011/06/d...nd-system.html

And this

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...w7itprogeneral

Comment

Working...
                    X