Adding Boot image into SCCM 2012 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Boot image into SCCM 2012 R2

I have accidentally deleted the default boot image for x86. Now I can't add it back no matter what boot.wim file I use it comes up with error at the end of the wizard

"The specified file can not be imported. Make sure the file is not read only and you have read and write access to it"

Yes, I have recreated wim file and used it from the CD, checked its not ready only and have full control.

My boot image x64 is fine though. This should at least let me deploy 64 bit image?

Re: Adding Boot image into SCCM 2012 R2

IIRC the boot image architecture is totally independent of the final OS architecture (but obviously depends on the underlying hardware)

I know you can boot from a 32-bit boot image and install a 64-bit OS (on 64-bit hardware) so I assume that as long as the hardware is 64-bit, you can boot from the 64-bit boot image and install an x86 OS

(Obviously the question is why, in this day and age, you would want to use a 32-bit OS )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SCCM 2012 R2 requires to have both 32 and 64 bit boot images.

these are already created when you install SCCM by default

I have deleted the default one.

It does give you option to add another one but mine keep failing what that error

"The specified file can not be imported. Make sure the file is not read only and you have read and write access to it"

Comment

Turns out SCCM was keep stripping out the permission on OSD folder. So I added the permission and left the permission window open in the background and run the add boot image wizard again and it work.

But now when I am pushing the image I am getting

"No response from windows deployment server
        Launching pxeboot.com...
        Press F12 for network service boot
        PXE-M0F : Exiting PXE ROM
        Operating system now found."

I have boot files in SMSboot\x64 folder
        I have system installers and system images in

REMINST\Image folder
        Last edited by zrider; 23rd May 2014, 07:10.

Comment

Check that all Pre-Reqs have been met for the roles. For example, you appear to not be getting a DHCP address assigned unless that came before the below, in which case, have you advertised the deployment?

Comment

DHCP is working fine I can see its picking up IP address

Yes, I have deploy the task sequence for this machine which is in my test group. I have tried with "Avaliable" and "Required" option.

Files are there on share folder and its using domain admin account as permission.

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            Check that all Pre-Reqs have been met for the roles. For example, you appear to not be getting a DHCP address assigned unless that came before the below, in which case, have you advertised the deployment?

Comment

So you have pre-staged the Computer account in SCCM and allocated it's MAC address and/or GUID of the NIC you are booting from? Have you tested with publishing it to the Unknown Computers, which prior to doing so, just in-case, ensure you have enforced a pin on the deployment.

Comment

Working...
              X