Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninterruptible Power Supply setup

Hey Everyone,

I have 5 servers on my server rack, and they are sharing 2 Uninterrupted Power supplies sharing the Load.

We recently got a new server (5th) and I needed another Ethernet from our switch, so I used the one that was connected to one of the power supplies.

I am wondering how this will effect my system.

Does an Uninterrupted Power Supply require being connected via ethernet to a server to maintain the auto shutdown feature?

If so, do I require each server to be connected individually?

Please, any ideas and input is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Standard

Re: Uninterruptible Power Supply setup

Not knowing what vendor your using but in my experince, using APC, the answer is yes. The UPS is connected to the network so it can send clean shutdown requests to an agent running on your servers in the event of a power failure.

Ours is setup so non important servers are shutdown immediately to keep the key services running on other servers for longer before the battery in the UPS runs out.

Comment

A UPS needs one of two things in order to send a graceful shutdown command to a server:

1. It needs to be directly connected to the server via a USB cable, RS-232 cable, etc. In this case the UPS can send a graceful shutdown command ONLY to the server it is directly connected to.

2. The UPS needs to be connected to the network in order to send a graceful shutdown command to any server that it is configured to send the graceful shutdown command to (including but not limited to the servers that are connected to the UPS).

You've removed the ability of the UPS to send a graceful shutdown command to any servers over the network. The UPS will still provide power protection to those servers but it will not be able to send them a graceful shutdown command in the event of a power outage.

Comment

Thank you Both Zarg & Joeqwerty,

This is exactly what I needed. Zarg with the answer, and Joe for cleaing it up and explaining. Much appreciated. Its great when you ask a question, and get the answer you need to take the next step.

Thanks guys,
        Standard

Comment

Working...
        X