Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 SCCM in the same domain- possible?

Hi,
    Need to know, can I run 2 SCCM 2012 servers in the same domain, and 2 agents running on the same client.

the issue is that I have one SCCM server that I cannot control (which is not doing windows update), but I want to add another SCCM server so I will be able to control Windows updates for the same clients.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Re: 2 SCCM in the same domain- possible?

It would appear not (overlapping boundaries) -- see some of the links here:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2+...N4LW7QbFoYHwAg

What about using WSUS to handle the updates instead?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      It would appear not (overlapping boundaries) -- see some of the links here:
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2+...N4LW7QbFoYHwAg

What about using WSUS to handle the updates instead?
      WSUS will not give me the monitoring that I need, I need somehow to control the machines (clients and servers) that needs updates and way to make them receive it and not only pull them...

overlapping boundaries - wasn't this resolved in 2012 version..?

Comment

You can have a secondary server and have the Updates Service assigned to that (so it purely does updates), but you cannot have 2 Primaries within a forest sorry.
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
          You can have a secondary server and have the Updates Service assigned to that (so it purely does updates), but you cannot have 2 Primaries within a forest sorry.
          I do not have control on the Primary server and it is also does some windows update, can I use the secondary to deploy additional updates, will configuration from the primary will also get to the client?

thanks,
          Daniel

Comment

but you cannot have 2 Primaries within a forest sorry.
            I know it is an old thread but it still needs to be corrected.

Forget about the forest, you can have multiple primaries in even a domain. This is true for SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012. In addition, you can have a coexistence of SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012.

Also, you can manage machines outside your forest and even workstation machines.

Comment

Thanks for the info, npsingh123.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I suspect there is some crossover here - the original thread was about a single client belonging to two different SCCM hierarchies which, AFAIK, is still not possible. If that is not the case, I would love to see some references on how to achieve it
                Multiple primary sites (in one hierarchy) has (as said) been possible for some time
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's no problem having two separate hierarchies (sites) in the same domain/forest even if AD publishing is enabled. It's just a matter of boundaries. Make sure that they don't overlap and you won't run into problems.

Comment

Sorry XtaZee but Topper is a old and valued colleague.

TOPPER!! Sorry I missed when you posted but mate, really good to see you are still around. Click image for larger version

Name:	yahoo.gif
Views:	16
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	493692 Hope all is well with you and your family.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X