student prepaid printer system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• student prepaid printer system

Good day everyone ! actually i have a question about prepaid printer. How to make this system ?? this is my final year project so please help !!

Re: student prepaid printer system

Too much missing information to give a good answer, and really I don't want to do your project for you (unless I also get the degree ) but roughly:
    Only use mapped printers on server
    intercept all print jobs and get user info
    Look up user in database and get level of credit
    Count job pages (or other suitable metric) and subtract from available credit
    Let job through to printer

Also would need (web front end or other) UI to manipulate database e.g.
    purchase credit
    view job history
    manage user accounts.

Suggest you begin by reviewing third-party print monitoring solutions to get a fuller idea of functionality required
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Student Pay-for-Print/Copy

a good many universities use pharos to manage pay-for-print functionality on their campus networks.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

okay thanks for your advice and by the way I'm not degree student..I'm just diploma in IT (System). I have done searching how to make this system but I only found how to use this system.. argh its frustrating !

Comment

What exactly do you mean "make the system" - I assume you mean (as a project) build such a system in software, but I may have misunderstood you
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yeah that what I mean. I want to build this system using software such as Php , VB.net , and all that similar software. Sorry for my poor english . So do you think that I can build this system using software ?? or you have other suggestion ?? anything helps ..

Comment

Hardware (at least a printer) might help too

But yes, you probably could build a proof of concept system

As to what language, this would presumably be part of your project - investigate possible solutions and evaluate the best one for your purposes.

How long do you have to complete this - I have a ghastly feeling the answer is going to be "by Friday" but I hope you have 4-6 months available

Anyway, I would start by making a project plan outlining the main phases and then breaking it into more detail, then look at dependancies and start working. Typically, I would expect a dissertation or project to include:
              An analysis of the problem
              An investigation of existing solutions (commercial packages)
              An evaluation of different methods of implementing a solution
              Justification for your chosen method
              Design of a solution
              Implementation of a solution
              Testing etc

(so basically a full software development project)
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

as you can see, they offer the application for pay, so theoretically you could create one yourself utilizing scripts, security groups, ldap, AD, etc, etc.

ossian already listed the needful features and steps required to pull it off. youll need a database, an account control platform (ldap, NT/AD, or basic), and a print server...

it will also depend on your printers. i have a lot of ricohs at the schools i service. they offer built in ldap/AD integration along with local user permission controls ... that would be a help.
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

okay thank you for your advice. really appreciate it. actually the time i have to build this system is about 4-5 month. For now i've been working on a presentation for this system.. do you think that building this system is hard ? or maybe I should search for another easier project ?

Comment

How can we answer that without knowing about your skills, experience and a lot more...
                    WHat do you need to produce -- a fully working system or a proof of concept (i.e. one that shows how it should work, reads/writes data but doesnt actually control a printer or accept credit cards)

Suggest you have a long discussion with your supervisor about what their opinion is
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X