Network monitoring tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network monitoring tool

We currently running DUDE to monitor and alert us for our Servers (hard disk levels) and Printers (toner levels) and find it very useful, although I have found some of the functionality a little tedious and unreliable.

Now we're looking for an additional tool that can monitor our system to another level, especially terms of bandwidth.

Anyone have pointers and whether we should be looking at a dedicated peice of hardware?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Network monitoring tool

You could look at mrtg or nagios. Maybe spice works. All are free but require some fiddly configure
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks,

I looked at Spiceworks a while back, well at least the free version and didn't like all the advertising though I suspect this can be removed if purchasing a full version.

As for Nagios, they also do a Windows variation 'Nagwin' but didn't get too far before I removed it.

MRTG, isn't that more for Routers?

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
        Thanks,

As for Nagios, they also do a Windows variation 'Nagwin' but didn't get too far before I removed it.

Windows version of Nagios isn't very stable, best using the Unix/Linux version. MRTG can be used for anything that uses SNMP.

Checkout Zenoss (my personal fav) or Big Brother. Zenoss does not run on Windows but it's a great tool, I haven't used BB in years but if I remember correctly it does run on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
          you said you want to monitor network bandwidth (among other things)

In my mind, the best way to monitor network bandwidth is to monitor the routers and switches.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            you said you want to monitor network bandwidth (among other things)

In my mind, the best way to monitor network bandwidth is to monitor the routers and switches.
            Agree, if you're monitoring one point, but I want to see bandwidth between two points, e.g I have SQL on one server and SharePoint on another, so it would be useful to analyse data transfer between the two and also active client connections.

Primarily need this on a Windows platform

Comment

perfmon ?

it's free...

Comment

I would recommend !%$#^$&$#$. You can use it for monitoring hard disk space and toner levels, availability of network devices, and for bandwidth monitoring. In bandwidth monitoring, you can monitor your routers and switches, but also the connection between two points, to check packet loss etc. I find it much easier to use than Nagios or Spiceworks, and it offers more features. You can download the freeware here: URL DELETED BY MOD
                Last edited by Wired; 29th May 2011, 08:54. Reason: Remove links

Comment

Cheerio, if you are going to post links to a product then please declare your relationship to that product when posting otherwise it will be seen as a spamming.

Thank you.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not going to post a link, because my intent is not to spam. I am an employee of WhatsUp Gold and would recommend taking a look at it. Feel free to ping me with any questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X