Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCM 2007 - Cannot distribute software

Hello,

I am very new to this forum and I think this is my 2nd post, so hello! I am having an issue simply distributing software from SCCM 2007 and I am unsure why.

I have installed clients and enabled client agents. I can get SCCM to communicate with the client, but every time I try to distribute software, I get an error saying something similar to No Program Files Found.

We have this set up as a mixed mode site and I've gone through the process of creating a package, creating the program, and creating an advertisement. However, I think I may be doing something incorrectly on the program side going by what the error message says. I've followed Microsofts technet write up and to me, it looks like I am everything set up correctly, but the software distribution still fails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please let me know what information would help from the logs.

Re: SCCM 2007 - Cannot distribute software

can you let me know, where are you seeing that error? There could be various regions of Advertisement not coming on to the client. I suggest you to enable "Allow users to run the program independently of assignments" option under "Interaction" tab of advertisement properties.

By doing so, you can manually run the advertisement on the client. You would see the "run advertised progams" icon in the system tray. If you are getting adv to the client and still not able to run the program, check whether the distribution point is availabe to the client. If DP is not available the client wont be able to access the package. you can check these logs Cas.log-for package download info, datatransferservice.log-for policy and package download info, contenttransfermanager.log-to check for completion of download job, locationservices.log- location of MP and DP(Here you can find out whether the DP location is retrieved by location services) obviously execmgr.log to get info about adv and its completion status. I hope the info will help you.

Comment

This error is on the client side once it shows up in the systems tray, I click run and it throws the error. So, this means that it's advertising to the client and then it can't find the program after that. Your information is helpful and I am going to tackle this right now.

Thank you for your help, I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you again.

Phil Rogers

Comment

In locationservices.log - there is no mention of the Distribution Point, I assume this could certainly be the issue. What have I done wrong?

I removed the SLP because I didn't think we needed one. We have a flat network with an extended AD schema and one domain. Are there any logs that I could present to you that would help? I appreciate your reply and patience with me, I am a newbie Junior Systems Administrator and still learning!

Comment

Please check if boundaries are configured properly. If possible please send me these logs, ccmexec.log, execmgr.log, locationservices.log,datatransferservice.log,conte nttransfermanager.log,cas.log. I also would like to know, whether you see all other actions in the "actions" tab of configuration manager applet in control panel apart from Machine policy retrieval and evaluation cycle and user polciy retrieval and evaluation cycle.

Most of the common issues in software distribution occur due to improper boundaries, protected site systems. Make sure the network access account has access to package on the DP if you have configured one.

Comment

please paste message ID and description from advertisement status for 1 host
            Cheers!!
            MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Originally posted by raghava2804 View Post
              Please check if boundaries are configured properly. If possible please send me these logs, ccmexec.log, execmgr.log, locationservices.log,datatransferservice.log,conte nttransfermanager.log,cas.log. I also would like to know, whether you see all other actions in the "actions" tab of configuration manager applet in control panel apart from Machine policy retrieval and evaluation cycle and user polciy retrieval and evaluation cycle.

Most of the common issues in software distribution occur due to improper boundaries, protected site systems. Make sure the network access account has access to package on the DP if you have configured one.
              We have the boundaries set to encompass all systems on the network, so we have an IP Subnet Boundary that would encompass everything, then an IP Range that would cover all, and I also see something for Active Directory as a boundary, but it reads like this, "DEFAULT-FIRST-SITE-NAME" for the site name, but it does specify the site code correctly. Does this mean that this boundary is not configured properly? Does it hurt to have more than one boundary like we do?

On a client machine, there are several actions besides Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle, are there any in particular that I should be looking for? Everything relating to software distribution appears to be enabled on the configuration manager client.

Where should I send the logs?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by entadm View Post
                please paste message ID and description from advertisement status for 1 host
                Can you let me know what you mean by this? Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

In SCCM console, advertisement status can be found in Site Database>System Status>Advertisement Status>{Advertisement Name}
                  Select show messages and new windows will be presented to you showing status messages for advertisement which will help in troubleshooting
                  Cheers!!

Comment

Originally posted by entadm View Post
                    In SCCM console, advertisement status can be found in Site Database>System Status>Advertisement Status>{Advertisement Name}
                    Select show messages and new windows will be presented to you showing status messages for advertisement which will help in troubleshooting
                    Thank you, I'm still getting used to this. Here is a copy of one of the errors in that log:

"The program for advertisement "ASH20018 has not yet started because the content for the package "ASH0000A" - "Install Sketchpad" (version 1) has not been acquired. Possible cause: The content for this program must be downloaded into the computer's cache, or the content could not be located.
                    Solution: If the program is being downloaded, no action is required. The program will start once the download has been successfully completed. If the content can not be located, ensure that a distribution point with this content is available for this computer. Distribution point availability can be affected by roaming boundary configuration which is used to determine whether distribution points are classified as local or remote, or by enabling distribution points as protected distribution points. Distribution point availability can also be affected if you are using branch distribution points and the advertisement is configured with the option Run program from distribution point instead of Download content from distribution point and run locally. This is because branch distribution points do not support advertisements that are configured to run directly from a distribution point."

I must admit, I don't know much of what this means. What does it mean download in to the computers cache? This executable file resides on the server that SCCM 2007 is on and we are pointing to the folder that the executable resides in. If I need to download straight to the distribution point, how can I do that? Any clue as to what we may be doing wrong after seeing this message?

Comment

What are advertisement settings for distribution point?
                      Re-check site boundry
                      attach logs as suggested by raghav - ccmexec.log, execmgr.log, locationservices.log,datatransferservice.log,conte nttransfermanager.log,cas.log.
                      Attached Files
                      Cheers!!

Comment

We got things figured out for the most part, except the installations seem to be taking FOREVER! I mean several hours to several days. Is there something I am doing wrong? Following the advice in this thread was helpful, my boss implemented these changes before I got a chance to and now the only issue is how long it actually takes for an installation to take place.

Any idea what's going on there? You all have been very helpful.

Comment

Can you give examples of some of the applications you're installing and how long they're taking, along with a brief summary of the PC(s) they're being installed to?

What network speed are you on? Have you tried monitoring network performance with Wireshark etc?
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                          X