Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimated time line for Windows 10 deployment

Hi All,

We are looking into Windows 10 deployment and customisation via SCCM. It would be great if anyone give us estimated time line to complete it.

Below are the requirements:

- SCCM is already in place used for software update management, some application deployment, endpoint protection.

- 400 pc's running W7 Ent x64. 40 windows tablets

- Windows 10 Enterprise x64 to deploy

- MS Office 2016, adobe cc, few other apllications needs to deployed with the image.

- Hardware is range of Dell and HP hardware. dell desktop and hp laptops

-User data is kept on the share drive, there should be no data kept locally.

Let me know if you need further details.

Would it be ok to say 3 weeks? A week to get the images ready, a week to test and a week to deploy.

Thanks

It seems reasonable - obviously depends a lot on your knowledge and skills
    Personally I would add a week for contingency!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by volks_x View Post
      Hi All,

We are looking into Windows 10 deployment and customisation via SCCM. It would be great if anyone give us estimated time line to complete it.

Below are the requirements:

- SCCM is already in place used for software update management, some application deployment, endpoint protection.

- 400 pc's running W7 Ent x64. 40 windows tablets

- Windows 10 Enterprise x64 to deploy

- MS Office 2016, adobe cc, few other apllications needs to deployed with the image.

- Hardware is range of Dell and HP hardware. dell desktop and hp laptops

-User data is kept on the share drive, there should be no data kept locally.

Let me know if you need further details.

Would it be ok to say 3 weeks? A week to get the images ready, a week to test and a week to deploy.

Thanks

I mean, saying three weeks would be a complete guess. This is not how project estimates are produced. If you have no previous project of this ilk that you can base your estimate on then implement a sample deployment to a single test machine and then multiply that by the number of machines you need to deploy. Then calculate whatever other factors into your estimate that are appropriate.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

My SCCM knowledge/skills are ok. It feels that it will be a risky project to undertake. The problem is we do not know their environment that well, it would be difficult to predict any issues that could crop up during the project.

I will say 20 working days of my time, that is probably an underestimate and leave the cost calculation to the account manager.

Thanks

Comment

How are your WIndows 10 skills? That will affect things
          Your statement "we do not know their environment that well" worries me - you need to allocate time to analyse the current environment before you start considering the new deployment
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows 10 skills are good. What I meant was we haven't done the initial SCCM set up and don't know their current infrastructure. I have just been asked to provide approximate estimated time to complete it based on the information above.

Thank you.

Comment

Windows 10 skills are good. What I meant was we haven't done the initial SCCM set up and don't know their current infrastructure. I have just been asked to provide approximate estimated time to complete it based on the information above.

Thank you.

3 weeks to 6 months i would say.

Going into a new environment and not understanding the business reasons why things were done will be that hard part.

Has SCCM been documented and is the documentation up to date??

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

My SCCM knowledge/skills are ok. It feels that it will be a risky project to undertake. The problem is we do not know their environment that well, it would be difficult to predict any issues that could crop up during the project.

I will say 20 working days of my time, that is probably an underestimate and leave the cost calculation to the account manager.

Thanks
                I'm sorry, but why would you give a baseless estimate? How's that going to work out if the project comes in at twice or three times the time? How is that going to affect your relationship with the client and the prospect of future business with them?

Comment

Working...
                X