• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMSBoot files - PXE problem

We've got a bunch older machines which throw up the errors during PXE boot:
    PXE-T04: Access violation
    PXE-E36: Error recieved from TFTP server
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom

This only happens on a certain model of PC - So I believe that rules out a lot of common issues those errors pertain to.
    My thought is that the onboard NIC is too old to load the x64 and may only work with the x86 version?

However, DHCP is managed by the core switch at the site I'm working on, and in order to change this requires going through CAB and other red tape and then finding a comms guy to go change it. And there is no guarantee the change will work.

So instead of that, would it be possible to just switch the files around (temporarily) so that the 32bit files will be in the x64 folder, just to test.

Would it break anything?

Do you have the right drivers installed on the WDS server to service the clients?

It should be ok to rename the files, however it is not something that i have done.

The error message comes from the PXE Boot ROM itself, so this happens way before any drivers are loaded or needed.

Examining the error messages ("PXE-T04: Access violation" and "PXE-E36: Error recieved from TFTP server"), you'll notice that the PXE ROM only tells you about an error that occurred at the server side of the TFTP transaction. A misconfigured DHCP server can cause this to happen (see these threads for more information), but then I'd expect the error to manifest itself on every PC, or at least all PCs in the same network/subnet.

Have these machines been installed with WDS previously, and if not, have you configured the PXE Response Policy on the WDS server to accept all requests, not just "known client computers"?

If there's no configuration issue on the WDS server and the DHCP server is not at fault, then either the PXE ROM is sending an invalid or non-standard TFTP request, or the WDS TFTP server is too picky about the syntax of the TFTP request. One of the parties (or both) must not be fully compliant with the PXE specifications for such a scenario to occur. You could try:
      • contacting the PC manufacturer to see if there's a BIOS update available (the PXE boot ROM for an onboard NICs is part of the system BIOS)
      • making sure all Windows updates are installed on the WDS server
      • enabling logging on the WDS server and see what appears in the event logs
      • using a network traffic sniffer to inspect the TFTP transaction and post the results here
      • reporting the issue to the PC vendor and/or Microsoft
      Sniffing network traffic is perhaps the quickest way to get to the bottom of what's actually going on, so I'd recommend installing Wireshark on the WDS server. A good capture filter would be "udp port 67 or udp port 68 or udp port 69", as that would catch both DHCP and TFTP traffic