No announcement yet.

WDS, SCCM and WSUS implementation guidance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDS, SCCM and WSUS implementation guidance

I have just started a new job, and they would like me to implement WDS, SCCM, and WSUS. I know how all of these work together and provide a holistic management of the entire desktop infrastructure. I however, can't seem to find any best practices to implementing all three. From the minimum requirements I am going to assume I need at least 4 boxes, SQL, WSUS, SCCM, and WDS. These will all be hosted on a VMware 5.1 environment, unless there should be a separate box for WDS.

I also can't find any info about the order in which these should be configured. My guess I should configure WSUS, and WDS, then add SCCM into the mix, but their may be a better way.

Any help would be extremely helpful.

Thank You

WSUS I have on a separate server, SCCM and WDS could be installed on the same server.

In order of importance I would install and configure WSUS and get your clients updating using that. WDS is just a role so can be added at any point. SCCM is the beast in all of that though and isn't just an install an job done. This I would leave until last.

In an environment that I worked in they were running SCCM at various locations so I thought I would learn how to properly use it. So I obtained a copy of the excellent Train Signal's SCCM tutorial and promptly abandoned my idea after 4 or 5 videos. It just wasn't feasible for the sub environment that I worked. You however may be able to take advantage of the company that purchased Train Signal and use their tutorials. Pluralsight SCCM Now the really, really good thing is that they presently have a 10 day FREE trial.

I have setup and configured WSUS and WDS without any tutorials but there is no way in the world I would attempt SCCM without one. But hey, that's just me. YMMV.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

WFIW, I would not attempt to implement all of SCCM at once - begin with monitoring/auditing, then decide whether to use it for software deployments, OR OS deployments, OR patch management, and get that right, THEN add more functionality.

Concur with Wullie - WSUS first, and learn that, THEN the others
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

This is what I thought. Since the only patch management we are doing is disabling them. Get WSUS up and running, and configured. Fight those battles, then get WDS up and running for imaging in the summer. Then perhaps look at SCCM to put everything together.

Thanks everyone. You have been a great help. I probably will be coming back with more questions.

Thank You

If your interested in client deployment have a look at the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit. Its like SCCM's smaller brother for systems deployment, it is actually recommended that you use both in production.

Its free to download and install and have a play with, we actually use it in a production environment.

But yeah get your clients parched properly first and working then move on from there.

I have gotten everything to work with WDS, but am having a problem with it auto partitioning the drives. Attached are the imageunattend.xml file which is set on the image, and Win7x64PE which is set in the WDS config properties for the x64 architecture.

I have noticed that if I select any partition, it will usually fail in the next step, but if I reboot the computer it has repartitioned the drive. Any help that you can provide will be fantastic.

Thank You
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jarreddieken; 28th September 2015, 21:31. Reason: Adding a log file.

Last edited by wullieb1; 29th September 2015, 08:45. Reason: Added different website

I tried the configuration specified in the first link previously and that did not work. I tried it again and got the same results. The second link, I went through the process, but no where does it say which file this was for, so I tried it in the WDS Client unattended, and then the image unattended, and finally in both. On all occasions I got the same screen asking for partitioning.

I am using a Windows 10 boot image because after testing I found the answer files were working the same as a windows 7 boot image, with the embedded drivers.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps a first run script to remove all partitions from the drive using a disk part type command?

What happens when you use a Windows 7 boot image?

How exactly are you trying to do this? Are you loading the image from the WDS server direct?

Did you read the entire thread for the first portion?

You would have seen this

<DiskConfiguration> <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI> <Disk wcm:action="add"> <CreatePartitions> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>1</Order> <Size>100</Size> <Type>Primary</Type> </CreatePartition> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>2</Order> <Extend>true</Extend> <Type>Primary</Type> </CreatePartition> </CreatePartitions> <ModifyPartitions> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Active>true</Active> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>System</Label> <Order>1</Order> <PartitionID>1</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>Win7Ent</Label> <Letter>C</Letter> <Order>2</Order> <PartitionID>2</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> </ModifyPartitions> <DiskID>0</DiskID> <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk> </Disk> </DiskConfiguration>

I have now started using a Windows 7 x64 boot image, and will use that from now on.

I have the boot image on the the WDS server, and the Win7x64.xml file to be loaded on any 64 bit clients.

It is not entirely clear from any of the posts or research that I have done where to put the disk configuration. From what I can tell it seems to be half working in the PE environment and shouldn't go into the image unattended file.

I have taken that disk config from the first post, and replaced it in the Winx64PE.xml, and get the same issue. I find it interesting that it will partition the drives regardless of which option I choose, as long as there is enough space for the drive. The install will fail if I do anything to the 100 MB partition, but if I restart and then try the install again choosing the non-100MB partition it will work correctly.

Is there a way to check to see if the PE environment has any cache files on disk?

Clean the disk before doing any partitioning of it. This ensures that you start with a disk with no partitions on it.

Also you might want to start researching here.

I personally use MDT for my deployments and I can set all this in the task sequences rather than via XML files like you are doing. Still needs WDS to load the boot image but is pretty simple to use.
                        Last edited by wullieb1; 2nd October 2015, 09:49.