Domain PC Hardware and software audits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain PC Hardware and software audits

I'm not sure this is the right location for this, but it seemed to be the closest fit. I have searched the forum and KB here as well as spent a good amount of time googling on this subject, but I am still having trouble making a determination.

I have been tasked with implementing an automated inventory/audting program in our environment, (2003 DC's mostly XP SP3 clients, around 100), but I can't find anything that gives me the info I need without having to touch each workstation.

I have tried spiceworks, and while it seems like a good product, it fails on some things that are very important to me. It does not consistenly get the dell service tag numbers, model, or system serial number, does not seem to provide a list of local user accounts, no list of windows profiles, etc. etc.

I want/need the ability to get a simple HW info list, (installed RAM, CPU, disk size/free space, serive tag in BIOS), installed software list, (we use another key retrieval program to insure license compliance, but I need to see which user has what installed on which workstation), network info, (system MAC, mapped drives, mapped printers, etc), and save this either to one document for the quarter for example, or save it to individual files for each PC.

Ideally I would like to be able to script the execution, (login perhaps), and have it be hidden from the user.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

Re: Domain PC Hardware and software audits

Are you able to splash out on System Centre Operations Manager?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Honestly had never heard of it before, doing the googling now.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Unfortunately I have little to no budget, although SCOM does sound quite impressive, it seems to be a bit of overkill, (escpecially in the money department), for what I need to get done.

We do not need to monitor workstations, (or any other network device for that matter), we use nagios and hobbit for this. I simply need a way to remotely automate the information gathering once per quarter, and be able to compile it in a manageble form to use for inventory tracking and desktop support purposes.

I am however registering and downloading the 180 day trial.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Comment

OK, lots of WMI scripts, batched up, should do the trick
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can try Spiceworks, a free management solution.
            I myself don't use it (being a paranoid, I don't like my Domain Admin password in a software that calls home), but I know there are others that are satisfied with it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

He said in the original post he had tried it -- otherwise would have been my recommendation too
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

I probably missed it ... Vulcan minds do that sometimes
                And I did asked myself how you did not think of it

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

But... thats illogical....
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    But... thats illogical....
                    Don't even go on that path ... We don't need to be banned for hijacking someone else's thread, do we?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

The best one i've used is Lansweeper http://www.lansweeper.com/ which was recommended in here
                      The free version comes with a very lightweight client and loads of enterprise-like features
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                        The best one i've used is Lansweeper http://www.lansweeper.com/ which was recommended in here
                        The free version comes with a very lightweight client and loads of enterprise-like features
                        Wea ctually use the premium version of this at work and it may have been me that recommended it.

Fantastic piece of kit and very highly utitlised at our office.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeeye View Post
                          I have tried spiceworks, and while it seems like a good product, it fails on some things that are very important to me. It does not consistenly get the dell service tag numbers, model, or system serial number, does not seem to provide a list of local user accounts, no list of windows profiles, etc. etc.
                          I think Lansweeper would be your best fit

Comment

We ended up going with Open-Audit, free & opensource, audits can be automated, and it grabs most installed software keys.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                            X