No announcement yet.

Installation Spy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Spy

I am looking for an Installation spy on the network, which will alert me if one of the users has installed anything in his computer.

Can you please advice.

Re: Installation Spy

My initial reaction is why give them permission to install applications in the first place, prevention is better than the cure.....

But i'm considering your question......

You can remote manage their Pc and set a filter on the applicaiton logs for MSIInstaller, the filter costs nothing and is already in place.

But like I say, preventions better than the cure. Lock em down.......

Its your responsibility if you are an amdin.....
    Last edited by fergie; 16th July 2009, 12:42.
    MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

I think SpiceWorks can do that for you.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

Correct, Spiceworks reports can be set to do that.

However, the names may not always be what you think they are.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Vista / 2008 also has highly detailed Installation information available in the Reliability Monitors. Accessed through Reliability and Performance. See System Stability Report.

We use it a lot. When we ask users what happened just before it broke, they always says - "I dunno, it just stopped working". Then we check Reliability Monitor around the time / date they reported the problem and you gussed it....! Something was installed.

Google toolbar is our favourite, the pop up blocker stops some of our apps working. This of course only applies to our users with local admin priviliges, because the rest are locked down.

If your'e using XP you have to do it the old fashioned way....Remote Computer Managment.
          MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Dont't Really KNow if ObservIT can do that, probably it only works with terminal services. Dont know of the Pro version can check out the domain workstations.