No announcement yet.

WSUS -- Auto assign computers to groups on connected servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS -- Auto assign computers to groups on connected servers

I know the official solution to this is to use target groups, but I'm curious if there is any other way

WSUS 3.0 SP1 with one central server and about 10 downstream servers (replica mode)
    c. 250 clients

Windows Update set to correct WSUS server through GPO linked to site

Using manual assignment to computer groups, which is fine for the majority of machines

But, if a roaming user goes to another site, their machine is picked up as "unassigned" on the local server (this affects about 10 to 15 people). Also they remain on that server after their return to their home site, until the 30 days are up and they can get cleaned up.

So, is there any way that the servers can pick up the correct computer group from each other, or from the client, and can allow computers to roam free between sites?

I really don't want to set up the OU structure for each site to allow target groups, also this will not (AFAIK) drop computers off a server when they pop up on another
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **