Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCM 2007 question - regarding clients

I am just starting to dive into SCCM.

I, like alot of people, don't have the money to go out and buy many machines so VMware is my friend for my SCCM studies.

This may be an easy question, so here goes...

I have one client discovered, but I can't get the other client discovered.

Both clients are VMWare Workstation ACE Edition machines and I noticed while they both have different objectGUID's under ADSI Edit, they have identical objectSid's.

1. What will I blow up if I change the objectSid?
    2. Am I wasting my time with trying to change the objectSid?
    3. Am I better off just using a VirtualPC client and a VMWare client?

Re: SCCM 2007 question - regarding clients

Nevermind... I just figured it out.

Comment

Sadly enough you don't understand the principles of a forum by posting the solution what worked for you.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        Sadly enough you don't understand the principles of a forum by posting the solution what worked for you.
        Well, I haven't quite solved the problem yet. My initial theory and further testing showed that a VirtualPC XP machine I created had the same objectSID.

After some digging, I have found this warning message.

SMS Active Directory System Discovery Agent reported errors for 2 objects. DDR's were generated for 0 objects that had errors while reading non-critical properties. DDR's were not generated for 2 objects that had errors while reading critical properties.

Possible cause: The SMS Service might not have access to some properties of this object. The container specified might not have the properties available.
        Solution: Please verify the Active Directory schema for properties that are not replicated or locked. Refer to the discovery logs for more information.
        My first thought was it was due to it being a VMware session.

Upon further digging I found the above message.

Once I do solve it, I'll post what I did.
        Last edited by Tazdrummer; 27th November 2008, 15:31.

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948303 <-- I believe I am onto the root cause of the issue.

Its kind of late, but I will probably dive into it tomorrow.

Comment

Problem solved.

Once I had the clients properly registered on my DNS server, I could add systems via AD System Discovery.

All I had to do was under each client, Advanced TCP\IP settings tab, go to Append these DNS suffixes (in order); and add the DNS suffix.

Now I have three clients appearing in my collection.

Comment

Well done, Tazdrummer.
              And thank you for posting the solution. As Dumber said, this is one of the most important activities in the forum.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                Well done, Tazdrummer.
                And thank you for posting the solution. As Dumber said, this is one of the most important activities in the forum.
                Well, if I don't get to it right away, it doesn't mean that I am not going to do it. Chances are I might post a victory post at 0 dark 30 and then post the full info the next day or so.

After two years of working with Radia, I think I am going to like SCCM more.

Comment

Working...
                X