No announcement yet.

Adding a windows process monitor to Distributed Application

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a windows process monitor to Distributed Application

Hi all,

Purpose: monitoring of a warehouse management application responsible for stock/parts inventory for a major car producer. The application schedules transport of parts to production line and manages stock situation and takes care of all in between. It uses 5 win2k3 ent servers for the critical processes.

Project: create a distributed application in SCOM2007 to monitor all the components: windows services, windows processes, ftp and web servers, diskspace, databeses and general system and network health.

Set-up: Sub-company of a European car producer. About 36 servers, (2 ESX and few physical machines), all running fully patched windows 2003 server enterprise. SCOM 2007 for monitoring purposes.

Problem: pretty new to SCOM 2007. No idea how to add a custom monitor (monitors a windows process - running: healthy/not running: unhealthy) to the distributed application. All other components are there (FTP, dsks, databases and so on) but I need to have 8 windows processes running on 6 different windows 2003 servers in the diagram view. Those processes (not services) are critical for the application and I already setup monitoring for them (closing the application in question on console generates an alert) but I can't seem to figure out how to add the monitors to the diagram view.

This isn't really a technical problem, it's rather lack of relevant knowledge. I hope someone can explain to me how to add monitoring for a running windows process into the diagram view of a distributed application.

Thnx & Grtz