Network Enhanced BIOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Enhanced BIOS

Has anyone come accross or heard of any such product?

The idea is to be able to manage Clients BIOS through a central Mangement console and maybe somehow to get some sort of POST Failure notifications or performing tasks such Flushing BIOS on client computers.

Am i daydreaming or does anything like that already exists.

Any input on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Network Enhanced BIOS

Actually, you're not dreaming... It is Intel's technology, part of the chipset.
    HP has this implemented in part of the new series of both notebooks and desktop computers... I attended a meeting with an HP representative a week ago and he mentioned that. It does all what you say, and more... It is some type of "computer inside a computer", you can connect to it to a CLI even if it's shut off or in the middle of a BSOD.
    I don't recall the name of the technology, I have it written on a notebook in the office. I will come back with the name on Sunday, when I'll be in the office.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks Sorin,

Can't wait to have a look at it.
      I did a Google search but the only interesting result I got was a Patented Idea From Phoenix.
      I was just wondering if there was anything concrete released yet.
      I'll wait for the name on Sunday.

I was wondering about this because I've got a long To-Do List during the Summer. And on that list "Upgrading the BIOS" in about 60 machines takes some sort of priority.

Cheers
      Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Has anyone come accross or heard of any such product?

The idea is to be able to manage Clients BIOS through a central Mangement console and maybe somehow to get some sort of POST Failure notifications or performing tasks such Flushing BIOS on client computers.

Am i daydreaming or does anything like that already exists.

Any input on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks
        Indeed youre not dreaming, intel is working on it, best way to picture it is that it would be something like an Remote Insight Board baked into the the chipset.

Comment

I too am anxious to hear more about this. Recently I was considering implementing some BIOS settings en masse but the project was crushed under its own administrative weight. If it was possible to centrally manage BIOSs, that would make me smile.

It seems like the BIOS is one of the last components in modern computing to be incapable of being centrally managed.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Don't be happy so fast...
            From what I remember from the lecture, it is a feature you cannot add to an existing computer. You have to buy it with a chipset of the right version (mainly because Intel want to make money of it, so if they allow you to add it by yourself, they cannot be sure about the number of mobos you upgrade ).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

on Dell servers you can set up an update repository in the LAN with a product called IT assistant. it will push firmware and driver updates to the machines if it needs to
              ________
              Mercedes-Benz Axor Specifications
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:05.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

HP servers have an integrated management port called iLO. When installed properly, the management tools are installed too. These tools allow drivers and firmware management through a free centralized tool called HP System Insight Monitor.
                But if we are talking desktops and notebooks (not all of them, I remind you), then we're talking about vPro technology.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  HP servers have an integrated management port called iLO. When installed properly, the management tools are installed too. These tools allow drivers and firmware management through a free centralized tool called HP System Insight Monitor.
                  But if we are talking desktops and notebooks (not all of them, I remind you), then we're talking about vPro technology.
                  Thanks mate,
                  I am going to have a look at the VPro, it sounds pretty good. Especially after finding out that our Lenovo (Former IBM) desktops use the technology.
                  Can't wait to get down 'n dirty with it.

Cheers
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Good luck!
                    Let us know the outcome...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X