Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Center Essentials 2007

Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me a point in the right direction on this one.

I'm currently working at an organisation with around 40 PCs and a handful of servers and they have asked for some audit information on the hardware to see what is and isn't licensed, etc. So I've installed SCE 2007 on a server and have been battling with it for some time.

Yesterday I got it set up by using pretty much the standard default, accepting to use a domain Group Policy for the machines, etc. The agent has been pushed out to the servers and some test workstations but only the SCE server itself is actually reporting back the OS type, drives, hardware installed, etc.

Everything else is just sat there saying "This Computer Has Not Been Contacted Yet", despite having the agent pushed out nearly 24 hours ago.
    In a test VM environment I tried this and it was nearly instantaneous. I've checked that the new GPO is being applied to the machines using the GPRESULT command but it all just seems to be refusing to talk.

Does anyone here have any experience with SCE in this way? Thanks for reading!

Pete
    Pete Cullen
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, MCP, MCTS Server 2008 (Assorted)

Re: System Center Essentials 2007

Only a guess but is the windows firewall installed?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks Andy, I have just this moment found the solution and the firewall was half of the solution!
      The machines were getting their Windows Updates from a WSUS server that is already on the LAN, so the Inventory and stats couldn't be collected. I put all the machines into a test OU away from the standard WSUS policy and ran wuauclt and gpupdate /force and then wondered why it still wasn't working.

Click, click, disable the firewall and then hit refresh, one populated list of machines!

Thankyou for replying, I appreciate it greatly.
      Pete Cullen
      MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, MCP, MCTS Server 2008 (Assorted)

Comment

Not a problem, thanks for posting the other half of the solution!
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thank you, DoctorK, for updating the forum with the solution!
          Future generations will be forever grateful

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

I used WInventory (free opensource software) to gather information about the machines in the AD, and match that to the licenses we had. that built an easily manageable list of software installed versus the software purchased.
            it's a simple script that runs over the list of the computers and servers in AD and pulls the software and hardware info from them using PSEXEC and putting that information in a MySQL database with an apache-php frontend.

to keep things constantly up to date I then used OCS NG, which is the same as winventory in terms of the xAMP usage, but actually has an agent that can be installed on the workstations to keep them constantly monitored for software and hardware changes

all free, all very fast and easy to setup and use
            ________
            HONDA CROSSROAD
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:23.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
            X