Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audit and hardware question /Server 2003 Multi-master domain with AD and Group Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audit and hardware question /Server 2003 Multi-master domain with AD and Group Policy

Hi all,

Thanks to the combined efforts of the members of this forum, you have been able to answer many of my questions without having to post,...kudos to all of you.

Now its my turn to post a question:
    the company I work for is undergoing an audit from our parent company (major shareholder) and the question was asked if there is a way to generate a report illustrating the NTFS permissions and ACL's of users and directories from any one of our twenty sites in our domain, xcalcs and Hyena have been less than helpful.
    I need something that I can save in a .csv or pipe out to an Excel spreadsheet, that can be understood by non-admins/engineers.

We also have SolarWinds to monitor our network, unfortunately I am a novice at this app and would appreciate some direction on how to use this app for administration, the SolarWinds tutorials just make my head spin.

Also, is there a utility to check for bad sectors on a server (DC) without having to do a reboot?

Thank you in advance...
    Regards,
    Randerso

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." W. B. Yeats

Re: Audit and hardware question /Server 2003 Multi-master domain with AD and Group Po

Hello

We have had some success with a product called ARK (admin report kit) for windows server which can do all sorts of audits, including permissions audits. It exports straight from the program into flat text or csv

We have a small site, but a pretty comprehensive permissions setup - it is a mighty report once its done! Printing on A3 is recommended

See if this will help at all

http://www.vyapin.com/products/enter...ktools/ark.htm

In terms of your bad sector question, there's no method that I am aware of that will let you check a hard drive for bad sectors when the operating system is in use. Normally when a disk goes bad, you can check for 'disk' errors in the system log.

No idea on solarwinds though sorry

Comment

Re: Audit and hardware question /Server 2003 Multi-master domain with AD and Group Po

Robbo,

Many thanks for your response, I'll try the ARK app you mentioned, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

As for the hard drive, "bad sector" I mentioned, its a moot point now, as the site in Manila has gone down (catastrophic failure of the DC). We're just waiting for them to pick up the pieces and report back to us.

The app SolarWinds seems to be pretty exclusive, so I may just have to go to the source for help!

Again, thanks for your help...
      Regards,
      Randerso

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." W. B. Yeats

Comment

Working...
      X