need tools for system mangment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need tools for system mangment

hello all .
    i want to ask something ...
    i have an SBS 2003 server and i want to know what are the best tools for managing my server ...
    i need to know the ip of my computers in the network and their inventory ... and i want to be able to remotely manage my computers...
    do i have to install programs on my server or can i install programs on my office pc or laptop and manage all i need from there...

i hope you can recomand me of some good programs . and i hope you can help me out.

thank alot

Re: need tools for system mangment

For SBS the best management tools are the wizards provided by your good friends at Microsoft.

For remote management, you get remote desktop as a freebie with XP and Vista. Alternatively there are a lot of variations on VNC

For inventories, how many PCs do you have, in how many locations?

You can install many of the standard management tools on a workstation, but for SBS your best option is to set up a remote desktop connection to the server so you can access the full range of tools from the comfort of your own desk!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: need tools for system mangment

These are some of the tools I used

Remote control : remote assistance (included in xp), goverlan, chriscontrol(free vnc push)
      General administration : hyena, standard microsoft tools
      Inventory : spiceworks (free), lansweeper (free)