Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Security Question

Hello,

I have an interesting security issue in my office. If a user sits at a computer, not on my domain and uses UNC to connect to serverA, it prompts the user for their username and password. This is normal behavior. However, if same user attempts to UNC into ServerB, it does not prompt the user for a username and password.

I run both Windows Server 2000 and 2003, but it does not matter which OS is running, they both have the same problems. It doesn't seem to be a folder share issue because the prompt for credentials is before you can see the folder list.

We are racking our brains and searching all over. Does anyone have any ideas that may help us out?

Appreciate you taking the time to look and answer if you have any ideas.

Thank you.

Re: Internal Security Question

Is there a user account on ServerB that matches a user account on the local machine? If so, that is what is causing this to happen. It's "pass-through" authentication. The other thing could be a saved username/password combination on the local machine for ServerB, look in "Stored User Names and Passwords" in control panel.

Comment

I can take a look at the the "pass-through" thing, but I doubt this is the issue. The user names may match, as well as the passwords, but they are not on the same domain and wouldn't that prevent you from logging in? I'll have to take a look though.

I was reading about the saved user names and passwords, but according to Microsoft, this information isn't saved when you UNC into a computer.

Thank you.

Comment

Pass-through authentication will indeed work if the computers are on different domains, that's what it is for. If the computers were in the same domain, you wouldn't need pass-through authentication. If pass-through authentication is not the cause then it is definitely stored user names and passwords, which are used for UNC paths. I use this at work quite often to transfer files between machines in different domains.

It won't hurt for you to take a look at these two things and it may lead to an answer for you.

Comment

Working...
        X