WSUS 3.0 behavior when clients are logged on as non-admins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS 3.0 behavior when clients are logged on as non-admins

We are considering installing WSUS 3.0 on our server to help centralize the update procedure on our company's computers. The current setup is as follows:

1 Domain Controller (Win2K3 Standard Ed. SP2 and Exchange 2K3)
    1 Application Server (Win2K3 Standard Ed. SP2 w/ Accounting software)
    35 Client computers (w/ WinXP SP2)

None of the computers on the network (including the application server) log into the domain. Each user logs into his or her local computer. The concern that we have is how WSUS will behave since very few of the 35 Windows XP users log in as administrator or with administrator privileges.

Does anyone have experience with WSUS where the clients are not logged in as admins? Is there anything that we should consider before deploying WSUS?

I apologize if this repeats an earlier posting. I have been having difficulty finding any good information on this topic.

Re: WSUS 3.0 behavior when clients are logged on as non-admins

Are the computers joined to the domain?

An administrator can configure automatic updates and the computers will download and install the them on a schedule without user intervention.

On a side note, if you have a Domain Controller, why not use AD accounts? It allows for greater, more centralized control. i.e. easier administration.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jeremy. I apologize for taking so long getting back with you.

The computers are joined to the domain, but each user logs into their own local machine rather than logging into the network. We used to have them log into the network, but that changed one time when the vice-president came in one Saturday and could not get into his computer.

The concern that I have about using WSUS is that I don't want to inconvenience the people logging into their computers as non-administrators. I am worried that if an update is downloaded to their computers that requires a reboot, that they will just reboot without alerting the user or allowing them to save what they're doing.

Am I up in the night over this?

Comment

Originally posted by Clarinoguy View Post
        The computers are joined to the domain, but each user logs into their own local machine rather than logging into the network. We used to have them log into the network, but that changed one time when the vice-president came in one Saturday and could not get into his computer.
        I really think you need to talk to your VP and other management and explain to them why you have a network, why it's less secure to use local users, and why it's more work administratively to use local users.

The concern that I have about using WSUS is that I don't want to inconvenience the people logging into their computers as non-administrators. I am worried that if an update is downloaded to their computers that requires a reboot, that they will just reboot without alerting the user or allowing them to save what they're doing.
        Since the computers are joined to the domain you can use Group Policy to make all the configurations.
        You can schedule the installation of the updates at a time when no one is using the computer. (the default is 3 am) Off hand I can't remember if it's all users or just administrators that will get a prompt saying it needs to reboot.
        Also, one of the configuration options is to prevent it from rebooting which would require a manual reboot.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy.

If there is an option in the configuration to disallow automatic reboots, then that would solve my problem. Since everyone shuts their computer down at night, manual reboots are really a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
          X