Internet Monitoring Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Monitoring Software

Ive been requested to install a piece of software on a small network (15 desktops) which monitors all workstations web requests but Im not sure what to go for. An ideal solution would be to install a small program on one of my Windows 2003 Servers which captures workstation, website, date and time.

What (if any) software would fit the bill?

Thanks
    DW

Re: Internet Monitoring Software

Search with Google for a free proxy server.
    Most of them have the monitoring capability. the last step is to configure your desktops to use this proxy server and configure your firewall to reject direct Internet connections coming from desktops , or at least to not allow the web traffic.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

You can use Open DNS but if you want a bit more use Dan's Guardian.

Comment

websense rules if you can afford it for your org.

it monitors all the sites users visit, how long they were there, what they clicked on... yada, yada..

and you can use it to restrict user access to work related sites only, or set time periods for off-work browsing...

set categories, restrict access at a granular level (as its LDAP integrable ) and a very nice reporting agent.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
          websense rules if you can afford it for your org.

it monitors all the sites users visit, how long they were there, what they clicked on... yada, yada..

and you can use it to restrict user access to work related sites only, or set time periods for off-work browsing...

set categories, restrict access at a granular level (as its LDAP integrable ) and a very nice reporting agent.
          Our previous CIO bought websense we are having so many issues with it. I have seen it in action and it works ok but their support absolutely sucks for the price they charge.

Comment

Netop and Netsupport manager is also extremely good but not free

Comment

Currently i am using Linux for my internet and email monitoring. Using squid proxy server with NTLM authentication. Configured iptables firewall so the only computers that can access the internet directly are the domain controller and proxy server. Also running postfix to relay mail. Using SARG for squid reports and mailmgr for postfix reports. Created a Virtual website with apache2 and password protected it so that only authenticated users can access the web based reports. Works a treat. If your familiar with linux it should only take you about 2 hours. You could port this solution by using squid-nt which is free. The reason i use ntlm authentication is because it displays the user in the log files(Not ip address) and it checks to see if the users are in the Internet Access group in AD. If they are not in the group they dont get internet access. Which is good for banning people not doing the right thing. We put this solution into one of our clients business's and within an hour one employee was taken aside because of looking at inapropriate material. If you would want more info regarding config files etc let me know i will help you out.

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Working...
              X