Disk Cleanup trouble.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Cleanup trouble.

Here is my scenerio. I have a domain with 50 roaming profiles. Each profile is saved on a profile server that allots each one 100 mb of space. I want to set up a disk cleanup to run on each of these machines once a week to keep the garbage off the profiles. My initial thought is to make a .bat file with the sagerun command and put it in the scheduled tasks folder of each machine. I wanted to know if there was a better or more common practice.

Re: Disk Cleanup trouble.

what do you mean by garbage ?

if all the roaming profiles are storede on one server, you do not need to do this from each machine seperatly, you can write a script that does the job centraly from the server.
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by yanivfel View Post
      what do you mean by garbage ?

if all the roaming profiles are storede on one server, you do not need to do this from each machine seperatly, you can write a script that does the job centraly from the server.
      What i mean by garbage is things in the junk in the temp folder and the TIF folder. Alot of our machines get quite a large amout of junk with these two folders.
      This brings up a good question that im a little puzzled about. i noticed that the when the profile server saves the profiles, it doesnt save the local settings folder(obvious). But im noticing that when the profile servers disk quota checks the profiles space on a workstation when it is trying to save, it is including the the local settings profile in its size calculation. is that working as intended? and if so, what is the point?

Comment

when you check the profile size on the local computer, it does include local settings since it is a part of the profile... but not a part of the roaming profile.

although i am not sure f this, I believe local settings contains data that is usually machine specific and not user specific. like application data, outlook PST files, temp files and so on.

i believe that the NO-SYNC for the local settings folder is done to save time and network traffic in saving things that will have no affect in another computer (like application settings if those apps are not installed).
        Yaniv Feldman
        Microsoft Security Regional Director
        Microsoft Management Expert
        MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

One user profile maybe very large, a user profile consists of: registry hive and a set of profile folders stored in the file system.
          these two components record user-configurable settings that can migrate from pc to other pc.

On computers running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP or Windows 2000, the History, Local Settings, Temp and Temporary
          Internet Files folders do not roam by default. Other Non-Roaming Folders are configured using the Group Policy Object Editor.
          The path for this setting in the Group Policy name space is:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Exclude directories in roaming profile
          Last edited by 001it; 4th April 2007, 09:57.

Comment

thanks for the info guys. I understand what you are both saying, but im still stuck on one piece. Since the local settings profile is not roaming, Why is it that when i logg off a profile that is over the disk quota limit due to the local settings folder, it doesnt save the rest of the folders? If the locals settings folder isnt being transfered to teh proflie server why is it being counted for space.

Comment

If your local settings folder is properly redirected elsewhere, then the local settings folder inside the profile can be deleted; and the redirected folder shouldn't be synchronised.

Have you deleted the "old" "Local Settings" folder which is inside the Profile folder?

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
              X