Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Insight Manager Alerting Incorrectly

Hi,

New to posting on the forum but been a big fan of the site for a while.

I currently have a number of servers which are monitored by HP Insight Manager. Every couple of days I am getting email alerts from Insight Manager saying that some of the servers are unreachable. When I ping and RDP onto them they look fine. I have checked the event viewer on the servers that are coming up as unreachable and the only thing I can see is which occurs around the same time I get the alerts are WinHTTPAutoProxySvc alerts.

EventID - 12503 - The WinHTTPWebProxy Auto-Discovery Service has been idle for 15 minutes, it will be shut down

Event ID - 12517 - The WinHTTPWeb Proxy Auto-Discovery Service suspended operation.

Would anybody know if this would cause Insight Manager to think it's down?

I have read that people have stopped the service and it stopped the event viewer messages appearing but I don't know if this would be the best cause of action.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated?

Many Thanks

P

Re: HP Insight Manager Alerting Incorrectly

Hi Jay,

I do not know insight manager very well, but i do know over agent based monitoring programs. for example, in mom you have heartbeat checks every period of time and if one of those check does successed you get the alert for not available copmuter, even if it was only unavailable for 3 miliseconds but this was the time to do the periodic check.

now MOM knows how to FIX this and not sending an alert straight away, but only if it has 2-3 HB in a row that won't respond. i guess Insight Manager does not...

either way, what you need to check out is "ping -t" from the insight manager server (with output to a file) and see the network problem realy is there....

things like NetAdapter rebooting itself or the server itself rebooting for updates or something are likely scenarios... but you might also have a problem of betwork overload...
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Hi Yanivfel,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I hadn't thought about actual network traffic. I have been looking about for ways to output the pings to a file but with no joy. Would you know of an easy way to do this?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PJay View Post
        Hi Yanivfel,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I hadn't thought about actual network traffic. I have been looking about for ways to output the pings to a file but with no joy. Would you know of an easy way to do this?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
        To pipe the output to a file e.g.:
        Code:
        ping 1.1.1.1 -t > C:\PingOutput.txt
        or you if you want to append an existing file:
        Code:
        ping 1.1.1.1 -t >> C:\PingOutput.txt
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy,

I have setup the ping and appended it to a file. I will wait to see the next time I get a message from insight and then see what the pings come back with at that time. I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Thanks a million for your help with this.

Comment

Let un know how it goes.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just to let you know, I managed to get this issue resolved eventually. Sorry I've taken so long to reply. A lot of trial and error and waiting to see if the problem reoccurrs.

Any servers that were giving hassle I updated the HP SIM components using the HP Remote Deployment Utility. After these were updated, the server was restarted.

I then removed the server from HP SIM and waited for it to be rediscovered. Since this was done no issues what so ever.

Many Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

As my old boss used to say, "every day's a school day". You're always learning.

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the details.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X