No announcement yet.

VLSM on a class A private address for a project

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLSM on a class A private address for a project

Hi all Im new here and need some help with my project as im stumped. I currently going through for "networking admin." and now in to Cisco. I had to develop an IP addressing scheme for a larger network, which consists of 56 subnets with the first subnet containing 1-32 subnets and up to 800 hosts on each, and the second subnet 33-56 with up to 12 hosts on each. I had to choose a single class A private address to accommodate all the 56 subnets (which that was easy)
    I chose /14
    which gave me: - and a broadcast address of - and a broadcast address of
    all the way up and my last address being - and broadcast address of

now here is where my problem starts
    I have to use VLSM to optimize the addressing scheme by further subdividing the last subnet. I have to choose a subnet mask that will generate enough subnets to accommodate all the 24 smaller subnets I created with enough host address space to accommodte all there 12 hosts.

so i choose to give me 30 subnets with 524,286 hosts (of course adding the 2 to eachfor network and broadcast)
    so using my last subnet which was

and my new mask of
    my results dont seem to look right to me here is what i got. Does it look right and if not can someone help to let me know where Im going wrong please and thank you, greatly appreciated

Subnet Number Range of valid host addresses Broadcast address /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to /18 to
    Last edited by Lmm; 8th November 2006, 19:15. Reason: did not word it correct

Re: VLSM on a class A private address for a project

No tripple posting!!

2) No double posting

Not here. Post once, wait for an answer. Do NOT post your "very important" question on more than one forum, and never post the same question again. If you have new issues regarding your "old" question - just follow your first thread and post to it. Members that cannot understand this simple rule will be banned.
    Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: VLSM on a class A private address for a project

Our young friend has made a bit of a boo boo, but has left a post with an explanation of what he wanted. Therefore no harsh penalty because we know he will now have read the rules and not make the same mistake again.

I will close this post and if someone can help, they can post here.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015