No announcement yet.

Wireless settings configuration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless settings configuration

Given: a domain, residing on three DCs running Windows 2000 Server each, and the clients are all running Windows XP Pro SP2.

We have a wireless network, and I would like to know if there is any way we can make the wireless settings on the client laptops via GPO. I know in Windows 2003 Server there is an option, but I was hoping that maybe there is a way to do this with our current setup.

We are using now Intel ProSet and Dell Wireless Utility, but if this works, I would like to unify it and use only the Windows XP native wireless configuration utility.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Wireless settings configuration

Looks a definite possibility:

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I already asked papa Google for advice, but all those links go to the "Windows 2003 Server + Windows XP Pro as clients" combination.

I need a solution for Windows 2000 Server + Windows XP Pro as clients.

I'm not sure if you've read this.

It states that wireless capabilities via GPO is only achievable by using Server 2003.

Q: Can I use wireless GP on Windows 2000 systems, or is it limited to XP and 2003?

A: Wireless group policy is available for XP SP1 clients and w2k3 servers only. At least 1 w2k3 server is required in the domain, but all domain controllers need not be w2k3.
        You may also want to have a read at this

The thing is, with Longhorn Server on the way I can hardly think now to upgrade my domain controllers to Win2003, so I was looking for a way to do this with Win 2000 Server controllers.

Thank you guys, helpful as always

Reading the docs i linked to states that you need to have the AD schema extensions for it to work properly.

The only way i can think of doing is to update the schema to Server 2003 and copy the .adm files from a 2003 server.

I cannot guarantee this will work though.

I saw that, and now I am replicating my real environment in virtual vmware space; I'll let you know what the results are.