Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying office 2003 with ASSIGNment and

Hello to All,
    I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

Here is what I want to do:
    Deploy office 2003 with GPO using ASSIGN method. I can do this successfully. Next step, I want to make it so that the user DOES NOT have to put in the MS product license key.

What is the best way to do this?

To attempt to do this, I have been able to use the ORK to make a MST file that contains my product key. I have a setup command line to install office using this MST. It was provided to me by the Custom Install Wizard.

I used the setup string with the optional MST file to create a ZAP file.

I can then PUBLISH this ZAP file and it shows up on the workstation.

My question is- is there any way to perform an ASSIGN with the PRO11.MSI so that I can include the MS product key? (that is really the only part I am trying to automate at this point).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks-
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Re: Deploying office 2003 with ASSIGNment and

David, have never deployed Office 2003 by GPO so I don't know if this (or the below) is what you are after or not. It doesn't make any mention of the Product ID, but Step 3 does mention an administrative installation point which I assume (and we should never ass u me) contains the Product ID.

A bit more reading but again it may not be of consequence.

Lastly, if the Office files are deployed from the HDD then you could have the Product ID preset in the PIDKEY option.
    Last edited by biggles77; 26th August 2006, 02:13.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As biggles says, do an admin setup (setup.exe /admin) on the server and you enter your VLK once only.

You can then produce custom setup files or just assign \\server\share\setup.exe for user controlled setup

Works like a dream

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Biggles & Ossian,
        You guys are awesome! I will watch the video that Biggles found.

Ossian- I thought that you couldn't assign a .exe. I thought you could only assign MSI files. Is that true?

Thanks guys!

-David

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis
          Ossian- I thought that you couldn't assign a .exe. I thought you could only assign MSI files. Is that true?
          You are, of course, correct. I wasnt quite awake when I posted yesterday morning
          You actually deploy pro11.msi from the Admin Setup directory

If you want to do a manual setup, go to the admin setup share and run setup.exe

For reference, a good article on deploying applications and tips on creating msi files:
          http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...lications.html

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks to all the help from everyone. I finally did get this working and was able to fully automate the install using the custom installation wizard. Here are the steps that I used:

Basic Steps:
            From the Office 2003 setup CD, run setuppro.exe /a
            Enter requested info
            Provide the install location on your HD. It should be something like c:\Office\Office2003 (a subfolder in a new folder you created)
            Enter your product key
            Accept the EULA and click install
            When install is done, share the Office folder so that the Office 2003 folder is subfolder in the share.
            Make sure the subfolder is readable by the users who will be installing it remotely.

At this point, you could administratively install office over the network.

To automate the deployment of office, you need to advertise it using GPO. Here are more steps to do this:
            Download the ORK.exe (office resource kit) and install
            http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...6a296a/ork.exe
            Use the Custom Install Wizard in the kit to create a .MST file (called a transform)
            Use Group Policy Editor to deploy the MSI using the assign method for the OU that you want to install office on. You could, of course, use the computer or user method.
            Specify the transform MST file when creating the package.
            Run gpupdate
            Login to the PC and click on an office application in the start menu to begin the install for that application.

Comment

17thcpikeman, could you please start a new thread, giving it an appropriate title, in the GPO Forum. When you have done that someone will come back and delete your hi-jack post. Thanks.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry.

Deleted post.

Comment

Working...
                X