No announcement yet.

Active Desktop

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Desktop

Hi All,

My first post so go easy on me, I know some people dont like Active Desktop!!

I have a problem, im running windows 2003 server with muliple windows XP SP2 clients. All I am trying to do via group policy is set the Active desktop web page (wallpaper is disabled) to stretch across the full screen. When I apply the group policy setting to : -

1) Activate active desktop - \User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Enable Active Desktop - Set to enable

2) Set the webpage to be displayed - \User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Add/Delete items - Set to enable

I log out and in again to test and bingo the web page appears but only on 75% of the left hand side of the screen, I can then click cover screen but this needs to apply on every computer it goes onto first time.

I have changed and scanned for modified registry entries and have found when I maximise the following entries are modified

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]

- Postion
    - Current state

Have set these via Kix (login script) but to no avail.. any ideas?? Or is this simply a flaw in Active Desktop

Re: Active Desktop

I think I have figured out your problem. I tested this on our domain and it worked. The policies that you numbered 1 and 2 in your post are correct, but there is one more that you need to enable:

\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop Wallpaper

Set it to enable, and choose stretch. You will have to type something into the wallpaper name box. I typed some numbers in and it seemed to work. Oh and by the way in the add/delete policy I put the first time google only filled 75% of my screen, like you mentioned, but after the active desktop wallpaper was set to stretch, it filled the whole screen. I hope this works for you.

Re: Active Desktop

Thanks for the energy on that one, I have finally solved it. I gave up tonight and when I read your post goergiaboy1980 it gave me a new lease on life, this is how I got around the active desktop problem I had.

I disabled the group policy for active desktop on our domain controller and enabled it locally via KIX script with the following commands and registry entries.

*Enabled active Desktop

$rt = writevalue("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\W indows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","ForceAct iveDesktopOn","1","REG_DWORD")

I then locked the active desktop setting and removed any current active desktops

** Lock desktop **

$rt = writevalue("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\I nternet Explorer\Desktop\Components","GeneralFlags","6","R EG_DWORD")

** Remove any active desktops **

$rt=DELTREE ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0")
      $rt=DELTREE ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\1")

I then applied my registry key via kix again,

** Set display settings to full screen **

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
      "Position"=hex:2c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,05,00,00,e2,03,00,00,e4,\
      03,00,00,01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00
      "OriginalStateInfo"=hex:18,00,00,00,ff,ff,00,00,ff ,ff,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
      "RestoredStateInfo"=hex:18,00,00,00,92,02,00,00,23 ,00,00,00,1c,01,00,00,27,01,\

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
      "Display Inline Images"="yes"
      "Window_Placement"=hex:2c,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,03, 00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
      ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,20,03,00,00,3a,02,00,\

And wow baby she's a workin, even on my home laptop..

The HKCU\~\Main are the key variables

(I think) Fullscreen - sets it to fulls screen "BUT" only according to the components variables and windows_Placement. So my first try I had a full screen but lost a 1/4 to the left. No happy Jan.

10 hours later Display Inline Images became my friend it seems to do the adjustment automatically.

It works.