newbie question on group policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie question on group policy

when I create a group policy, I apply it to the OU. Now in the OU, do I put the computer accounts or user accounts?

I made 2 policied. 1 policy that deals with computer configurations and 1 that deals with user configuration.

for the sake of organization,

I created 2 ou's. Staff computers and Staff

I applied my gpo that dealt exclusively with computer configurations to Staff Computers and user congfigurations like folder redirections to Staff ou.

in Staff computers i only have computer accounts. In Staff ou i have the staff user accounts.

but for some reason the only gpo is applied when the user logs in is the computer configuration gpo.

but if i link the user configuration gpo to the Staff Computers OU, then both my gpos get applied and works accordingly.

am i to mis understand that the gpo's regardless of computer or user configurations can only be applied to the computer accounts in AD and no the user accounts?

Re: newbie question on group policy

User settings apply to users and computer settings apply to computers. I don't know why it's not working but we should be able to find out.

Download GPMC if you don't already have it.
    You'll need to check for things like Blocked Inheritance and No Override

Because you say the user settings are being applied when you link the GPO to an OU containing only computers it makes me think that Loopback Processing has been configured.

I guess I should give some steps or such...

Check to see if Loopback processing is enabled. This is the only one that makes sense in the situation that you described. If it is enabled, disable it and then link the user GPO back to the Staff OU and delete the link on the Staff computers OU. Run RSoP to see if the proper settings are applied.
    Last edited by JeremyW; 20th July 2006, 22:18.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

woohoo!! loopback was the problem!

thanks

Comment

Glad to help