Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local Policies in W2K3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Local Policies in W2K3

    Is there any local policy that prevents execution of batch scripts for Users on Win2K3?

  • #2
    Re: Local Policies in W2K3

    Do you have users actually working on a Windows 2003 Server or is it for users that connect to a Windows 2003 Server (like on a Domain)?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Local Policies in W2K3

      I will describe the situation that I am facing.
      We use Terminal Services (W2K3 SP1 w/R2) to access an application (DOS Based). Each user on its Local Computer has an printer installed (LPT1). The printer is shared from local computer, and it should map into its profile on TS. As per Windows printing, users map the printer manually, using Add Printer Wizard. But using printer to print jobs (vouchers) from the aplication, printer should be mapped with batch file using 'net use' command. Until now we used W2k SP4 Terminal Server, and it was not problem for users to execute the script.
      I have checked MS KB#313644, but it does not help.
      Since I am dealing with this about 1 week I tried many things even whole registry, gave to everyone full permisson on every key that contains anything 'LPT' still doesn't work. Then I thought if W2K3 has any local policy that prevents mapping LPT1 using startup batch script

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Local Policies in W2K3

        Originally posted by vxhelili
        Then I thought if W2K3 has any local policy that prevents mapping LPT1 using startup batch script
        Wouldn't you need to use a logon script?
        And since you probably only want it to apply when they log on to the terminal server...
        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=8802&goto#2
        Regards,
        Jeremy

        Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Local Policies in W2K3

          Originally posted by JeremyW
          Wouldn't you need to use a logon script?
          And since you probably only want it to apply when they log on to the terminal server...
          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=8802&goto#2
          Yes I need to use logon script. Is there any policy in local machine to do this?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Local Policies in W2K3

            Originally posted by vxhelili
            Yes I need to use logon script. Is there any policy in local machine to do this?
            If this isn't a domain environment then you can specify a logon script for each user in Profile tab of the users' properties.
            If it is a domain environment the you can use Group Policy to specify a logon script.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

            Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Local Policies in W2K3

              [QUOTE=JeremyW]If this isn't a domain environment then you can specify a logon script for each user in Profile tab of the users' properties.
              If it is a domain environm

              It's Domain Environment, but still each user must have it's startup script, since each user has it's printer installed in local computer, and same printer should map on terminal service session

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                I guess I'm not understanding the problem fully. When you were running 2k, how/where/when was the script running? And has anything else changed besides the upgrade to 2k3?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

                Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                  Originally posted by JeremyW
                  I guess I'm not understanding the problem fully. When you were running 2k, how/where/when was the script running? And has anything else changed besides the upgrade to 2k3?
                  I still have W2K terminal server, and it is in 'production'. Now I am planning to splitt users in 2 TS's. There was no upgrade done from W2K to W2K3.
                  Local administrators of TS can map printer with 'net use' command, but Domain Users cannot.

                  I will attach a Print Scrn of cmd.exe
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                    Seems like a permissions issue on the local computer.

                    -Is the printer shared?
                    -Does it have the proper permissions configured?
                    -Is the user allowed to logon over the network? (to the local computer)
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

                    Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                      the answer for your question is yes. please consider the fact that I am an IT

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                        Originally posted by vxhelili
                        the answer for your question is yes. please consider the fact that I am an IT
                        Fair enough. But I know that sometimes when I'm troubleshooting an issue I get very narrow in my sight and miss some obvious stuff.

                        Anyways, Google has come through again
                        http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/1...in-windows-xp/
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

                        Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                          Originally posted by JeremyW
                          Fair enough. But I know that sometimes when I'm troubleshooting an issue I get very narrow in my sight and miss some obvious stuff.

                          Anyways, Google has come through again
                          http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/1...in-windows-xp/
                          I have tried with devcon, but it won't print again, even windows printing doesn't work. I've read MS KB#313644 about devcon and thought the problem is solved, but it wasn't.
                          Anyway Jeremy thanks a lot for your replies. Have a very nice weekend, maybe next week I'll find a real solution

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                            Originally posted by vxhelili
                            I have checked MS KB#313644, but it does not help.
                            Sorry, I missed that.
                            So you have devcon disable *PNP0401 running in a startup script? After the server is started have you checked to see if it performed it successfully? I've never used the utility but it looks like either devcon find *PNP0401 or devcon status *PNP0401 would tell you if it's actually diabled.

                            Anyways, have a good weekend.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

                            Network Consultant/Engineer
                            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                            www.gma-cpa.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Local Policies in W2K3

                              I had the same problem, just I disabled it
                              or gave it another LPT port number

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X