No announcement yet.

How do I setup a GPO for Terminal Server users?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I setup a GPO for Terminal Server users?

Computer settings are fine, I've setup an OU called "Terminal Servers" and placed the TS server in that and Computer GPOs are applied OK.

My users are in various OUs:

+-- JLRXMelb.Net
    ..+-- J&L Group
    ....+-- User Accounts
    ......+-- Melb
    ......+-- Sydney
    ......+-- Brisbane

I can't figger out how to apply User settings to the users of the Terminal Server. So what I tried was to create a new OU under "User Accounts", called it "Terminal Server Users", and placed a security Group called "Terminal Server Users" in there. This security group has all the user IDs of the Terminal Server users, as members. But I don't think the settings are being applied to the users when they log into the TS.

Is there another way to do this?

TS is Windows2003. Clients are WinXP RDP.
    Last edited by JDMils; 17th July 2006, 05:26.
    +-- JDMils
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades

Re: How do I setup a GPO for Terminal Server users?

GPOs apply only to users and computers, not groups.

What you can do is enable loopback processing in the GPO applied to the TS OU. "Loopback processing" processes the user setting of the GPO that is applied to a computer when a user logs on to that computer. There's two options for loopback processing:

Replace - this setting disregards all other user settings from other GPOs and applies only the user settings in the GPO that is linked to the computer

Merge - this setting treats the user settings as if it's the GPO linked closest to the user i.e. it is processed last but all other GPOs are also processed.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: How do I setup a GPO for Terminal Server users?

Another option is to use security filtering.

Open Group Policy management console, select your GPO under Group Policy objects. In the security filtering window, remove Authenticated users and add your TS computer object and the group of your users.
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate