No announcement yet.

restrict Porxy for users

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restrict Porxy for users

Hi guys,

I just a apply a policy in the group policy that will restrict the users from changing the proxy setting and port. However, users who use notebook need to use different proxy when they travel out said or when they not connected to the domain LAN.

I need to fix this without creating an different OU for users who has notebook.

Some one told me that I can use the registry to change the setting, can anyone tell me how ???? or if they is a better way on solving this please tell me…

Re: restrict Porxy for users

GPO has a computer and a user section. Both have settings for IE.
    If you don't have a separate OU for laptops you can selectively apply your GPO based on filtering.
    What you can do is:
    1. If you don't have yet, create a security group for your desktops. (Lat say, DesktopsSG). Add all your desktops to this group;
    2. Create a GPO and activate the following settings:
    Disable the connection page - it is in Comp. conf/Admin. Temp/Wind.Comp/Internet Cont.Pan
    Configure the proxy settings in User.conf/wind.Settings/Internet Exp Main/Connection
    3. From the security filtering of your GPO remove Authentication users and add Domain users and DesktopsSG;
    4 Link your GPO to the domain

In this way, both user and computer sections will apply to desktops restricting the access to the proxy settings. Laptops and all other machines witch are not member of DesktopSG group will get only user settings, user settings that contains the preconfigured proxy and port. In this case the connection page is available and modifications can be done.

Let us know your feedback.
    Last edited by netxt; 21st July 2006, 12:11.
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate