• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallpaper pushed via GPO, but needs F5 to display properly

Setup:
    Server: Win2k3 ent SP1
    clients: WinXP SP2

I wanted to push a wallpaper using GPO, and almost succeeded... Wallpaper is located on C:\Windows\wallpaper.jpg, Activer desktop is enabled (to allow jpg wallpaper). When user (auto) logins original wallpaper is loaded and after just few seconds the one pushed from the servers shows up as a black rectangle covering about 90% of the screen.
    I need to click on the desktop and press F5 to refresh, and the wallpaper is displayed OK.

Is there anything I am missing to dispaly it without using F5?
    Attached are two images showing the problem.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Wallpaper pushed via GPO, but needs F5 to display properly

Found a post on Experts Exchange which might help you http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21314238.html

Comment

Not sure what the problem is but I'd make sure that the size of the picture is the same size as the screen resolution or smaller. Sound like it has trouble processing everything at logon.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You might be right, the wallpaper size is larger than the desktop size. I'll change it after 4th of July.

Thank you for responding.

Comment

I just hate Active Desktop, and JPEG wallpapers.
          Here's what I did to apply a single wallpapers for all computers in the directory.

First, I copied to all the clients a BMP version of the wallpaper.
          Then, All I had to do is add the registry settings of the wallpaper to every HKCU of the users, and to the HKU\.DEFAULT (for the MSGINA wallpaper).

Adding the bmp file to the clients and to the HKU\.DEFAULT can be done with a simple startup script, and the adding the the HKCU can be done with a logon script.

What I did was pushing it into the default profile and into the registry of the RIS image, since I wanted to upgrade the OS of all the clients anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by swojup
            I just hate Active Desktop, and JPEG wallpapers.
            Here's what I did to apply a single wallpapers for all computers in the directory.

First, I copied to all the clients a BMP version of the wallpaper.
            Then, All I had to do is add the registry settings of the wallpaper to every HKCU of the users, and to the HKU\.DEFAULT (for the MSGINA wallpaper).

Adding the bmp file to the clients and to the HKU\.DEFAULT can be done with a simple startup script, and the adding the the HKCU can be done with a logon script.

What I did was pushing it into the default profile and into the registry of the RIS image, since I wanted to upgrade the OS of all the clients anyway.

Good tip - I hate active desktop as well!
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X