Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customize Windows XP Start Menu via GP

Howdy folks
    Would really appreciate some advice on this...
    Defining GP for our new domain, which has less than 250 users.
    Want a custom locked-down Start Menu for the basic users.
    Using GPMC/GPOE, but a little disapointed at how much I can actually lock down.
    For example, I want rid of the System Tools sub-menu, as well as some of the entries in the Accessories sub-menu.
    I know there is the 'Remove Common Groups from Start Menu' but this removes too much, including the Microsoft office folder!
    The Start Menu and Taskbar section in GPMC doesn't go into the required detail.
    My understanding is I can create a new .adm file to reflect the desired changes, I'm just wondering if there is another way to customize the Start Menu down to Accessories down to, for example, Address Book.

Is there a tool which allows an admin to choose which sub-menus/apps in the Start Menu to show?

Advice very welcome indeed.

Best regards

JHH

Re: Customize Windows XP Start Menu via GP

I've never tried it, but how about using the Redirect Start Menu GP and pointing all users at a folder with Read Only permissions, set up the way you want it

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Tom, will look into that (a very hot day it is in Scotland too!)

Cheers pallie

Comment

Howdy

Tried Folder Redirection for the Start Menu, and it works almost perfectly in terms of what menus I want available, with two exceptions:

1) A link to 'Windows Catalog' appears above the program menu. I've no idea where this came from, is it something that MS rolled out with XP SP2? And it provides access to the Internet, which our users don't require.

2) These users have a login script which basically copies an in-house application down from an app server, and adds the application menus to Start-Programs. However, when using Folder Redirection, this isn't working, I assume because the Folder Redirection is over-writing somehow.

If anyone else has had found a way to lock down the various non-necessary menus such as the System Tools menu, I'd really like to know how you done it!

Cheers

JHH

Comment

Have you tried ading the application shortcut manually to your (redirected) start folder?

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Oops!

Did that, perfect.

Thanks a bunch mate

Comment

Working...
            X