lock computer - I continue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lock computer - I continue

regarding the question I asked months ago http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5952

how do I lock the computer using GPO with screen saver?
    we've decided not to use any VBS or third party tools and use the screen saver.

10X

Poly.

Re: lock computer - I continue

Answering to myself.

RTFM

did it, was quite simple actually...

Comment

How did you did it?

Comment

If Poly posts back with an answer, great. If he doesn't, there is this new utility on the Internet called screensaver+gpo

If you have questions after searching the link I included, please post them back here by using the REPLY button. I think in this case a new thread is not warranted. Ta.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Poly is a SHE.
          (well, at least last time I checked )

Comment

Cure my faulty keyboard and the ming key!!! My apologies.<--- Oh look, it is working again!!

Is there any chance you could post your solution for Jorgeandresito? (It would be worth some Reputation points for showing community spirit )
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by poly
              Poly is a SHE.
              He, she, whatever. WHAT WAS THE ANSWER damn it!
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by poly
                Poly is a SHE.
                If you're not sure about it, maybe i can help you with checking Not sure if my girlfriend would approve it...
                However, it would be quite friendly if you can post you're solution
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Sure (silly me)

I basically gave up the whole idea of using third party tools / tonyyeb's application (not in a net framework enviroment), so, like I asked in the current question - how to use the lock computer with the screen saver was simply follow the instructions in the group policy.

Since I don't hold a server with AD at home (like some of you) I promise to upload a detailed pictures of the configuration tomorrow from work.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by poly; 12th October 2006, 00:22.

Comment

Well, there it is.

Change the following to enable: hide screen saver tab; screen saver; screen saver executable name; password protect the screen saver; screen saver time out.

In screen saver executable name write the path to the system's screen saver (will always be "%Systemroot%\System32\[*.scr name]".

In screen saver time out mention the number of seconds until the screen saver will start working (in my case 900sec/15min).

I uploaded the screen shot as well, nothing to do more than what is written here.

hope you'll find it usefull for future generation.

Poly (she).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the solution Poly. (Points added as promised) It is appreciated and I am sure it will assist someone else in the future <as I sneek off to follow the instructions>

To get a Server running at home, download and install Microsoft Virtual PC2004 SP1 Virtual PC Home Page

Download a Windows Server 2003 R2 trial version. Install Virtual PC. Then install Windows Server 2003 in Virtual PC. Server trial version is good for 180 days

OR

Purchase the Microsoft Action Pack and get all the goodies. Over 50+ CDs (and DVDs) of goodies at an extremely low price.
                      Last edited by biggles77; 8th October 2006, 08:57.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

10X

I do know how/what to download for having my own server at home (i own my own private server 2003 R2 copies, so no problems in that area)

But...
                        I want to have a life!
                        It just don't go hand in hand with a server installed at home (trust me, I see my sysadmin friends and it's enought for me to know that no server will be installed at my place).

BTW - the easiest way would be to connect to work, I was simply to lazy last night.

Comment

Install it in a Virtual PC so you can dcpromo, mofify things, break it, fix it etc etc. It is NOT necessary to have a live sever running at home. On my virtual PC I have DOS, Win95, Win98, Win2K, Win2K Server, XP Pro, XP Pro+Off2003, Win2k3, Win2K3+ISA2004, Win2K3+E2K3 and several different combinations. SBS2003 will be the next one to go on. It is all for looking at how to solve problems or reinstall and try a different combination of things. The good thing is all of the above sits on one PC running XP, P4 Dual Core, 2GB DDR2, (need more RAM though) 1 x 320GB SATA HDD and 1 x 250GB SATA HDD.

What you want and what you need will depend on what your plans are for yourself in this profession and how quickly you want to learn.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

will definitely consider it

Comment

Working...
                            X