Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirect - GPO

Hello,

I have just set up a new GPO in a new OU and placed my test users in there.

i have set the my doc redirect to be basic and set the root path of the server to \\server\users

when i log on a sub folder of the username is created ie '\\server\users\test' with a my documents sub folder.

although thats empty except for a tmp file?! how do i get the docs to transfer to the server? i thought it was automatic, the documents are still on C:. the properties dialogue of my docs also displays c:.

2nd quiestion, if i select 'create folder with exclusive access' i cannot access it using the administratior. does this prevent backups accessing it or does the local system account still have access?

Re: Folder Redirect - GPO

I managed to get it working.

i used the M$ article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=274443 to set permissions.

after that it works.

however every doc etc has the white blue sync icon.

why does it sync? it should be on the server. how can i stop

Comment

ok i got the icons to go by doing the following.

Computer\Admin Templates\Network\Offline Files:

Allow Offline - Disabled
      Prohibit user - enabled
      Prevent use of offline folder: enabled
      Remove "Make available offline": enabled
      Prohibit make available offline: enabled

User\Admin Templates\Network\Offline Files:
      As above, and:
      Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline

but it still syncs when i log off
      any ideas

Comment

Why do you want to disable Offline files? They help "speed up" access to files. Users will be happier.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

becusae users being users moan theres a new simbol next to there icons and wonder what it means..

needs to be as seamless as possible.

i dont quit follow why they are classed as offline anyway? they are redirected to a UNC. there should be no local copy.

i have a couple of users that have 2gb data.. i dont want to sync that evey time they log off.

i can remove sync by clicking the cache tab on the share and dissabling it that way.

user count is 15

Comment

You can disable Offline files for the specific share by going to the properties sharing tab and click "Caching" or "Offline Settings" depending on the OS version you're running.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

yep done that on the properties of the share and is working in my test environment.

problem is i cant get it to apply for existing users .

I have a OU called 'redirect' and any exiting users i drop in there dont apply the policy but any new ones i create work fine. does anyone have any ideas. i have tried everything i can think of!

Thanks

Comment

Does it sync new files or just the ones that were previously cached?

Have you tried clearing the Offline Files cache? (Folder Options -> Offline Files -> Delete Files) Try this on one computer.

If it works, in your GPO you can set the "At logoff, delete local copy of user's of offline files" (found in Comp Config./Admin Temp/Network/Offline Files)
                This should clear the cache of the rest of your computers.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by mordzy
                  becusae users being users moan theres a new simbol next to there icons and wonder what it means..
                  You can activate HIDE INACTIVE ICONS and set the offline folder icon to always hide. Not a solution to the whole question, but I hope it helps one way or another.
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X