Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add an Icon to desktop

Hi

I need to add an internet favorite icon to everyones desktop... I am currently saving the icon to a share on my server then using the GPO to add the icon to the dektop (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Add delete items)... In the properties of the Add/Delete Item I have enter \\server name\share name\internet shortcut name... This is not working... Does any one have a solution...

Thanks in advance

Mike

Re: How to add an Icon to desktop

Read the GPO explanation carefully:

Adds and deletes sepcified Web content items

You can use the "Add" box in this setting to add particular Web-based items or shortcuts to users' desktops.

\\server name\share name\internet shortcut name... is not web content. Notice that the GPO requires a URL. What you would put in that box would start with something like http://

Also notice that this GPO setting falls within the section of Active Desktop so I believe further for this to work, you're going to have to configure the "Enable Active Desktop" GPO as well.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Yeah

I tried what you said too... That changes the desktop wallpaper to the internet web content... This is not what im looking for... I just want to put an icon on the destkop...

Comment

The way I'm reading this, the GPO is for Active Desktop and requires a URL.

Try an alternative method such as a mandatory profile, installation package (GPOable), or scripting.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

For me the easiest way to do it is via the logon script for each user.

Have the script check for the prescence of the icon in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder, if it's not there then add it, if it is skip that portion of the script.

Comment

Working...
          X