Windows 8 screen saver login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 screen saver login

I know this should be a simple one but I can't seem to find the right way to set this up. They want me to set it up so for certain accounts the screen saver doesn't lock and require password. I've found a few policies in Computer policies and power settings but nothing I can do per user or group. Is there way way of doing this for Windows 8.1?

Re: Windows 8 screen saver login

I've never done this but a quick search reveals you can filter which OS's policies are applied to by using WMI filtering.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../jj717288.aspx
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I have but they want to specific this screen lock policy by user not machine, and thats even if I can find a GPO that will work at all which on Windows 8 still eludes me

Comment

Another search came up with security filtering. This may help get you started:
        https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc781988.aspx

Comment

Right, I can find a way of filtering a policy if I could find a policy that stops the screen from locking on Windows 8. Thats where I'm having problems none of them seem to work.

Comment

If you disable the policy to 'Password protect the screensaver' won't that disable the requirement to supply a password?

User config > Admin templates > Control Panel > Personalisation

Comment

Nope, it does for our Win 7 machines but not the 8.1 ones. No idea why

Comment

Group Policies generally "tattoo" the registry so unapplying a policy will not reverse all the settings - a new policy may be needed to explicity undo the changes made in the previous policy
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yea I know, I've had to do that with other policies for example we have one that disables the webcam for some user and we have another to enable it for all others etc. I just can't find one that disables the screnn lock or monitor time out where it requires the password

Comment

Have you checked that the policy is being applied?

Comment

Yes, I'm just working with one laptop in a test OU with a test user. From the RSOP I can see its getting my policy

Comment

Have you seen this thread - various suggestions that might be of use:
                        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-f2f47270c53c

Comment

Yes I've seen a few of these how to do it in the Charms bar (what a ridiculous name) but I need a Group police not per user solution as these accounts are spread out to 15 different elem schools so I need to be able to do it without users manually per machine doing it.

Comment

The only other suggestion I can make is to use Group Policy Preferences to update the registry key that controls this on each Win 8 machine.

Comment

Tried that too found the below, some have this some say to use another folder after windows called Personalization. Tried them both it still locks the screen an asks for password

Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
                              Create a new DWORD 32-bit and name it as "NoLockScreen".
                              Set its value to "1" , to disable the lockscreen.
                              Set its value to "0" , to enable the lockscreen.

Comment

Working...
                              X