• Show
Clear All

• couple of GPO practices questions

what will be considered as best practice and pros and cons if any:

1. 3 computers and 3 users GPOs should be created
    My understanding

just example:

a) 1 GPO that includes all (3+3)
    if 3 users GPO are related to different IE settings and computer GPOs is related to IE too it will be appropriate to create ONE GPO with all 3+3.

Is there any impact on end points in case of 1 GPO with 6 above settings vs 6 GPOs with 1 setting each?

2. Example: need to apply Registry change on clients machines.
    Is there any difference in load/ processing time between:

GPO that will run the script on LOGON and GPO with preferences\Registry configured to make change on target pc?

Thanks.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: couple of GPO practices questions

1) Personally I prefer to have multiple separate GPOs rather than one doing multiple tasks, but in your case, an "IE GPO" with both user and computer settings seems OK. The downside of several GPOs is time to apply them - a single one is quicker, but less maintainable.

2) There shouldn't be (depending on what else is in the GPO)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian!
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Could be useful for somebody ...
        I found this article on GPO optimization:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...01.gpperf.aspx

Comment

Working...
        X