No announcement yet.

Performance ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance ?

I can't find anything online that says either way is best. Is it better to have fewer large policies or separate out things to separate policies. We have a lot of stuff from folder redirection, registry things, printer mapping using ITL etc. Does it make a performance difference to have one or few policies with that stuff or separate them out more? Or does it matter at all

Re: Performance ?

IIRC, performance is slightly worse for multiple smaller GPOs because each one has to be loaded and applied separately.

However, management is much easier with a number of focussed GPOs than one monolithic one - individual GPOs can be disabled on demand, and can be applied selectively to different locations in the AD structure, so for me, multiple GPOs win every time.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks, that was basically what I was assuming but couldn't find anything one way or the other in writing.

One thing that may help with performance is whether the computer or user sections are even needed for a specific policy object. In all cases, if a policy object only applies to computers, then disable the user section. This means that the client side extensions which apply policies won't waste the time reading the user sections. Same thing applies the other way around for user-only policies. If you've got a lot of small policies enforced as suggested by Ossian, why read thru all the sections where no settings are applied? That simply takes up time better spent doing other startup/logon tasks.

When looking at a policy in GMC, the 'Details' tab has a dropdown box for selecting the state I describe. Experiment, see what you end up with.
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **