Problems with deployed printers on Windows 8 clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with deployed printers on Windows 8 clients

We have printers deployed to our buildings via Group Policy. We're having intermittent problems with the printers getting mapped for the users. We have a mixed Windows 7 and 8.1 environment. From what I can tell the Windows 7 almost always work. However for the Windows 8.1 ones its intermittent. The error in the Application log for the machines that do not get the printers is this:
    The user 'Hard-IMC-1nb-test' preference item in the 'Student Mandatory {0FA26CC5-C001-4A02-AACE-930581B7A1CF}' Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect.' This error was suppressed.
    Hard-IMC etc is the printer share name. Student Mandatory is the name of the policy.
    The strange thing is some students login and get all printers, some it gets this. I tried adding another printer share to the same printers with say a PCL5 driver vs a PCL 6. And it'll work fine for a few days then that one falls into the mix of not getting mapped. This is happening in all of our buildings each has its own local 2008 R2 print server. If I create a test account and login to the same PC as a student that doesn't get the printers it works fine for about 9-10 logins and then it starts happening to the test account. Its like the problem takes a few logins to occur. I've looked at some of our printers and they use the same manufacturer driver for both Win 7 and 8.1 so its not a driver issue especially since a lot of the times they do map.
    The only thing I've been able to find out is that on Win7 its not happening. Nothing else makes sense. There is no pattern to time of day or account. The machines all have the same image and updates etc. Can anyone give me a direction to look at. We have too many PC's to do printers individually.
    Thanks

Re: Problems with deployed printers on Windows 8 clients

Is the DC Server 2008 R2, Server 2012 or Server 2012 R2? I have come across similar issues that were happening on a 2008 R2 DC when Windows 8 (I think though it may have been 8.1) was introduced.

Upgrading the DC to the same kernel (Server 2012 for Windows 8 ) appeared to resolved that problem. I don't have access at this time to the Forum that discussed this issue and that is about all I remember about this.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes the DC's are 2008 R2 right now. I'm sure and upgrade to 2012 is on the table at some point but not right now and not for a printing issue. You'd think there would be something else I could do to get printers deployed through GP then replace domain controllers

Comment

You could try deploying using Group Policy Preferences
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We are, we're using it under GP, USer Config, Preferences, Control panel settings, Printers. Then in each printer we're using Item level targeting to a user group per building to determine which printers get assigned.

Comment

Ah - sorry, I assumed (ass-u-me) that you were using the Print Management role and the group policies that you can set up there.

In that case, worth looking at print management
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or even run them in a VB script until you upgrade the DC.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've tried print management to deploy them today, having even less luck with that. I tried it with just one printer and it didn't map and doesn't give me any errors to post.

Comment

Heres another thing, If a user logs in and they don't map they can log out and then back in and they do.

Comment

Does this happen primarily if the user logs in immediately after turning on, resuming or rebooting the computer?

Windows 8/8.1 boots faster than Windows 7 because by default it will reboot and suspend instead of just powering off. Have you activated the "wait for network" Group Policy setting for the computers in question?

Have you checked if the switches are running the old Spanning Tree protocol without the "portfast" setting activated for edge ports?

Comment

It happens to all users throughout the day. We do have that wait for network setup but if that were the problem it should only effect the first user. We've had our networking team check that on the switches and they say its not the problem. Plus in these same buildings on the same switches we have Windows 7 machines not having this problem.

Comment

I tried adding another printer to one of our buildings or another share for an existing one with a different driver. In this case a PCL5. On my test machine I try logging in and none of the printers connect except the new one I added. But then I log off and then back on and they all map. There just is no pattern

Comment

Group policy printers takes 2 logins to take effect

I'm trying to push out printers to windows 8 clients. Preferences didn't work. I'm trying the deployment option and it doesn't work at first login but if you log on and back on it does. Is there some way of getting shared printers to map for the first login?

Comment

Re: Group policy printers takes 2 logins to take effect

Hey Jason,

Is this relatd to your other post at all, regarding printers via gpo, or is it for something completely separate?

thanks!
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Threads merged...

As a general "real world" rule, group policies NEVER apply until the second reboot (except when you are trying to demonstate this and they instantly apply
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X