Using DHCP instead of GPO to set Proxy settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using DHCP instead of GPO to set Proxy settings

At the moment, all our DHCP workstations have their proxy settings set to our proxy server, Monty, via a GPO. The problem is that when the notebook users go home and connect up to their home internet connections, the proxy settings set by the GPO stop the notebooks from accessing the internet.

Thus, I need to setup DHCP to onforward the proxy settings to all DHCP clients, which I can do using the Router scope option, but how do I set the proxy port number?

Current settings for our proxy server from the workstations:

Proxy Server: Monty
    Port: 8080
    Last edited by JDMils; 30th January 2006, 01:16.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Using DHCP instead of GPO to set Proxy settings

I don't think you can use DHCP to set the actual proxy settings.

You can tell it where to go to the proxy by setting the Default Gateway as your proxy servers address.

Is this not an Interent Explorer option anyway. If i'm thinking right then you would need to use a GPO to set the proxy settings for IE. This will then tell the browser where to go and to which port to point to.

Someone can correct me if i'm being dumb.

Comment

Is your proxy server ISA 2000 or 2004? If yes, remove proxy settings from GP and follow this Microsoft support article http://support.microsoft.com/default...309814&sd=tech
      If it isn't, configure the local GP on your laptops enabling proxy settings.
      (Start ->Run -> gpedit.msc -> User configuration ->Windows settings ->Internet Explorer.. -> Connection -> Proxy settings -> enable proxy settings)
      If these laptops are connected to your office LAN, domain and OU group policy will overwrite this settings and Monty (your proxy server) will be used. When the user is connected to the Internet from home, only the local GP object is applied, it will set the browser for automatic proxy discovery. Since no proxy is detected, direct connection is used.
      Csaba
      Last edited by netxt; 27th January 2006, 21:31.
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
        I don't think you can use DHCP to set the actual proxy settings.

You can tell it where to go to the proxy by setting the Default Gateway as your proxy servers address.

Is this not an Interent Explorer option anyway. If i'm thinking right then you would need to use a GPO to set the proxy settings for IE. This will then tell the browser where to go and to which port to point to.

Someone can correct me if i'm being dumb.
        Actually you can. I finally figgered it out. ISA server 2000 has the ability to publish details as listed in it's Client Configuration\Web Browser property. Here's how to do it:
        • In ISA 2000 Server....
        • Goto the Auto Discovery tab and click the option "Publish Automatic Discovery Information. Make sure you note the ADI port number
        • Now go to the DHCP server and open DHCP
        • Setup a new Predefined Option by right-clicking the server name.
        • Click Add, set Name to "WPAD"
        • Set Data Type to "String"
        • Set Code to "252"
        • OK all that.
        • In the Scope Options for your particular scope, you will see the new option. Open its properties and set the String Value to "http://monty:80/wpad.dat" Note the server name and port number of the Discovery Information, which is not the same as the gateway port number!

What happens now is when a workstation requests a DHCP lease, it is also passed the WPAD values. As long as the browser is set to Automatically Detect Settings in its options, it will use the Scope Option WPAD to find the ISA Server. It will then be fed the Client Configuration details and off goes the user into the world of the internet.

When the user is at home with his notebook, his home router will give him his a different set of DHCP options which will allow him to access his internet connection at home too.

I'd like to thank Stuart Graham of the microsoft.public.windows.server.general newsgroup for this info which works a treat!
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

FIXED: Using DHCP instead of GPO to set Proxy settings

Originally posted by netxt
          Is your proxy server ISA 2000 or 2004? If yes, remove proxy settings from GP and follow this Microsoft support article http://support.microsoft.com/default...309814&sd=tech
          If it isn't, configure the local GP on your laptops enabling proxy settings.
          (Start ->Run -> gpedit.msc -> User configuration ->Windows settings ->Internet Explorer.. -> Connection -> Proxy settings -> enable proxy settings)
          If these laptops are connected to your office LAN, domain and OU group policy will overwrite this settings and Monty (your proxy server) will be used. When the user is connected to the Internet from home, only the local GP object is applied, it will set the browser for automatic proxy discovery. Since no proxy is detected, direct connection is used.
          Csaba
          Netxt,

I just saw your reply which is exactly the way I fixed my problem. Thanks for the reference to the article- I've bookmarked it now.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils
            Actually you can. I finally figgered it out. ISA server 2000 has the ability to publish details as listed in it's Client Configuration\Web Browser property. Here's how to do it:
            • In ISA 2000 Server....
            • Goto the Auto Discovery tab and click the option "Publish Automatic Discovery Information. Make sure you note the ADI port number
            • Now go to the DHCP server and open DHCP
            • Setup a new Predefined Option by right-clicking the server name.
            • Click Add, set Name to "WPAD"
            • Set Data Type to "String"
            • Set Code to "252"
            • OK all that.
            • In the Scope Options for your particular scope, you will see the new option. Open its properties and set the String Value to "http://monty:80/wpad.dat" Note the server name and port number of the Discovery Information, which is not the same as the gateway port number!

What happens now is when a workstation requests a DHCP lease, it is also passed the WPAD values. As long as the browser is set to Automatically Detect Settings in its options, it will use the Scope Option WPAD to find the ISA Server. It will then be fed the Client Configuration details and off goes the user into the world of the internet.

When the user is at home with his notebook, his home router will give him his a different set of DHCP options which will allow him to access his internet connection at home too.

I'd like to thank Stuart Graham of the microsoft.public.windows.server.general newsgroup for this info which works a treat!
            You never actaully stated in the original post that you were using ISA or wanted to use ISA server to achieve this.

Anyway you've fixed it. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
              You never actaully stated in the original post that you were using ISA or wanted to use ISA server to achieve this.
              OOpps. I'm really sorry about that- I did too stuff up in that department. Thanks again
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

Can someone explain why the OOPS emoticon doesn't work?!
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils
                  OOpps. I'm really sorry about that- I did too stuff up in that department. Thanks again

No matter. You solved it in the end.

Comment

hi everyone,
                    i have the same problem but i don't use isa server, i have another linux based proxy server, i need to apply proxy settings only when users are logged in the domain, when they go home they have to access internet without any proxy settings. i've posted this issue earlier to the scripting forum but think this is the right place to ask the question;when group policy applied, users cannot remove the policy settings in ie connections tab even they're at home, so a have to find a way to install and uninstall the proxy settings almost everyday because users also use laptops at home how can i solve this problem and if it's not possible with gpo are there such scripts to run at startup and shutdown to apply different settings for office and home?
                    thanx to everyone again.

Comment

hi tsentekin,

i use squid proxy and had similar issue with mobile users.

i use dhcp scope and proxy.pac

i m not too sure whether you have resolved this issue.. so in case not..

http://tinyurl.com/4c66q

http://tinyurl.com/yfxypm

regards
                      znme

Comment

Working...
                      X