GPP mapping drives results in slow login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPP mapping drives results in slow login

I have a GPP that maps a number of drives for users on login. Ever since instituting these preferences logins take a long time to process, sometimes as long as 3 minutes in some cases. I found a hotfix from MS that was supposed to alleviate these long login times but it does not help. Another article indicated that user drives should be processed in the GPP instead of the user's account in ADUC but that has not resolved the issue either. If I change to a login script the login processes much faster but I was hoping to control things like mapped drives through group policy. Any suggestions for speeding up login times?

Re: GPP mapping drives results in slow login

can you verify that all the mappings you are trying to assign are valid and responsive servers? if you manually map the drives via a cmd line, do they all map correctly within a reasonable amount of time?

i will post you a couple articles that deal with the same issue your having. maybe you will find one of them helpful to your situation...

Group Policy Preferences "Drive Maps" and slow logons with unavailable servers...

GPP Drives maps causing slow logon due to unavailable file servers - and how to make sure they won’t

also, have you done anything with folder redirection? if you enables FR and this is the first time they have logged on under that policy, it is going to take time to copy the contents to the location. this is normal and shouldnt persist past the initial logons.

also you might find that disabling offline files might be an issue, but thats easy to test and fix.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

All the drive mappings are pointed at the same server, just different shares. The server is online and very responsive; once the login finishes everything is just fine. I'm not using folder redirection at all. Everything maps via group policy preferences. Mapping via command line is nearly instantaneous, as is mapping via login script. It's only when using GPPs that login time is affected.

Comment

so you dont want to put a script in the policy? wouldnt that fix it or does it still hang if the script is linked to the policy?

what about a "wait for network" type adjustment to the policy? like Windows 7 Clients intermittently fail to apply group policy at startup

maybe its failing because its trying to map a drive before the network is available?
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

That's just it: it's not failing, it's hanging. Once login completes all the drives are mapped correctly and network services function optimally. It's just that logins take up to 3 minutes to go from putting in the username/password to desktop appearing. Anything longer than about 15 seconds for login is too long for most users.

Comment

Working...
          X