Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Group Policy

Hello,

I created a gpo but it does not work as aspected.

I created an ou named "Office" with a user called "Joe".
    For this ou I created a gpo wich creates a drive mapping to my file server. When the user logs in with is windows 7 pc it works fine.
    But when Joe logs in with remote desktop to my member server called "server2008r2" the drive mapping is also created and that seems to be normal to me but that's not what I want.
    So when Joe logs in to "server2008r2" I don't want a drive mapping to be created.
    To fix this I created a security group called "NoDriveMapping" and put the "server2008r2" computer in to it. In the gpo I entered the delegation tab and append the security group "NoDriveMapping" in to it and set the security for this group "apply group policy"to deny.

When user Joe logs in to his workstation the drive is mapped, but when he logs in to the server2008r2 there is also a mapped drive.

How can I solve this?

Re: Problem with Group Policy

net use H: /d /y?

sounds byzantine but maybe you would have an easier time deleting the mapped drive after it maps it...

if you have the home drive set via the user profile, its like a tattoo and is going to be there no matter where they logon.

so if its listed there, remove it and instead try to assign policies for the user based on the computer OU? idk... def weird request. i feel your pain...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

What you need to do is to configure Loopback Policy processing in the GPO that is linked to the OU where the computer object is. Then configure the appropriate User Configuration Settings in the computer GPO. You'll want to configure the Loopback Policy in Replace mode.

What this does is it tells Group Policy to apply the User Configuration settings from the GPO linked to the computer object instead of applying the User Configuration settings from the GPO linked to the user object. Replace mode tells Group Policy to replace the users normal settings with these settings (Merge mode would merge the two sets of settings).

So when a user logs onto their normal computer they'll get the drive mapping. When they log onto the server they won't get the drive mapping.

Comment

Ooo! Ooo!

good advice joeqwerty! i have never used that because i never had a place it was applicable, but this sounds like the perfect scenario... good call.

and since i see you, its good to see you around. we joined about the same time and i was always liking to see you around. i didnt log on for almost 5 years, but soon as i got back i see your still in the fold answering questions and gracing us with your presence...

good to see ya mate!
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

It's good to see you too, James. That must have been one heck of a vacation you were on. Don't go away again for so long!

Comment

Working...
          X