No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPEDIT.MSC Errors

I've just setup my first domain as instructed on this site, i was worried as I made a mistake on computer names whilst setting up DNS but abandoned setting it up manually once what i was seeing on the screen did not match the tutorial, so I let dcpromo set it up for me, once rebooted it took a file to load network connections (first sign of a dns cock-up). Once i logged on I checked the dns parts that the Active Directory tutorial setup says to look for and everything was ok. I then add one of my workstations to the active directory and then joined it to the domain without error.

However, when I open up gpedit.msc on the server (whilst logged in as admin) it comes up with an error: The follow entry in the [strings] section is too long and ahs been truncated". It then lists the DCOM server application list (appids)

Clciking ok brings up the same error message for the list of network files, then files and folders you wish to prohibit the 'Make Available Offline' option and so on for about 6 other items. Then the normal screen appears and all appears well. I can navigate through all the options but trying to edit ANY item all options are greyed out as though i don't have the priviledges to edit them.

I'm not sure if this is related to my active directory setup or not, or whether i've not set something up correctly. Your help would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by Mccy_McFlinn; 19th January 2006, 22:17.

Re: GPEDIT.MSC Errors

Ok, i've solved the error message stage by downloading a patch from microsoft but i still can't edit anything.

Re: GPEDIT.MSC Errors

Sorted issue now - was looking in the wrong place, consider me an idiot
      Last edited by Mccy_McFlinn; 19th January 2006, 22:31.

Found an answer? Great!

SHARE IT with the other forum members, that way people might benefit from this thread, and not just stare at it wondering what was the solution...

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services