Group Policy Auditing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy Auditing

Here is the scenario. I have 2000 computers in Active Directory currently being managed through SCCM and Group Policy on my domain. Is there any way to audit all of these machines to determine if group policy is applying to all of them successfully or not? I'd like to be able to find the small percentage of machines that may not be configured properly either as a result of someone downstream in the organization making changes to policy that would over ride the higher level ones put in place by my department. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance.

Re: Group Policy Auditing

Well, I don't know about auditing, but you can always "enforce" your policies you don't want overwritten. Just right-click the policy in Group Policy Management and select "Enforced" from the context menu.

Comment

Auditing would catch any errors posted in the Application logs for Group Policy processing, but it won't give you a breakdown of what policies are applied. That's down to the Resultant Set of Policies tool.

Try picking a single PC at random in an OU and run the RSOP tool from wherever you have the GPMC installed. If that result comes out the way you want/expect, then it's assumed all the PCs in that OU are the same (unless behavior or event log entries say otherwise.) If the RSOP shows something other than you wanted, the tool's report tells you where each enforced policy item comes from, so you can
      backtrack and change it to suit your requirements.

Good hunting!
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Working...
        X