Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply power policy to PCs in single AD site

Hi all,

I have a question regarding group policy and am hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to help.

We have an AD config that is comprised of two sites. We are trying to apply a power management GPO to all laptops in a single site. We have implemented a GPO that is locked down to portable computers from that site. This does not appear to work however since from what I can tell there is no site information related to the computer objects in AD.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this without putting the specific computers into their own OU which we would then apply the GPO to?
    Last edited by oztrailrider; 12th December 2013, 15:39.

Re: Apply power policy to PCs in single AD site

If you don't already have OUs that hold the laptops you want to limit, where did you apply your existing policy? From default domain policy on-down, OUs hold the objects that you wish to apply policies to. If you apply your power settings at the domain-wide level, you could create a new group, make all of the laptops in the target site members of that group, then add that group to the 'security filtering' section of the policy.
    Any new laptops in the target site would have to be added to the group or they wouldn't get the policy. Or you could do without the filtering and simply divide up the laptops by using OUs for 'Site A' and 'Site B', which would probably be simpler to maintain in the long run.
    Site info is (in my limited experience) used to ident in a domain which desired resource is closest to the requesting device (i.e. which DFS server is in the same site as a user looking for a file). Never heard of applying GP based on site location, alone.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Site policy is based on AD sites and, IIRC, relies on appropriate subnets being defined in ADSS and the applied based on the IP address the PC has.

Suggest you review your ADSS configuration first, then normal troubleshooting tools like RSoP

To detect the site a computer is in, review: http://www.expta.com/2010/06/how-to-...site-from.html
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the replies, we do have the sites configured in ADSS. The reason that we wanted to apply it based on site was so the policy was only applied when they were at the particular site and not when they are elsewhere.

We originally tried applying the policy at the root of the domain with the policy being filtered down to laptops only at the site in question. I am wondering if it would work if we adjusted the filtering to apply to laptops only, then linked the GPO to the site in Group Policy management?

Comment

It certainly should work - worth a try...
          Remember the order of GP application - LSDOu - and ensure nothing at domain or OU over-rides the site level policy
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X