Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win2K8 R2 GPO: Deploy printer with specific properties set.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K8 R2 GPO: Deploy printer with specific properties set.

We have a Ricoh Aficio MP C2050 printer and I've managed to deploy it to users using GPP based on IP. I need this for when visitors goto the specific office they automatically get the printer.

However, being a colour printer, it deploys with Colour printing as the default setting. How can I set deployed printers to print Black & White by default?

Server is Win2K8 R2, workstations are WinXP x86 & Win7 x64.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Win2K8 R2 GPO: Deploy printer with specific properties set.

Change the default properties on the shared queue on the server.
    Typically I create two printer queues for any big printer -- xxxMono and xxxColour

Then deploy the queue by GPO as you have done
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tried setting the default colour on the print Q to B&W but when the printer is installed on the workstation via GPP, it defaults to Colour.

The GPP is setup with a Shared Path in the format \\SERVER\PRINTER_NAME. "\\SERVER" is a Windows 2003 server if that makes a difference.

I'll see if I can get a colour & a B&W printer driver as that is the next option, but only if the two drivers are available.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

It isn't two drivers, its two print queues, one defaulting to colour, the other to mono

Haven't had any problems with it before - are you sure you are going into DEFAULT PROPERTIES (one of the tabs on printer properties) and not PROPERTIES, which applies to the current user only
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

Yeah, the driver defaults to colour on installation and you can default it to B&W on the print server, but once the driver is installed on the client workstation, it defaults to colour!? It's a strange setup!
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
            Hi Tom,

Yeah, the driver defaults to colour on installation and you can default it to B&W on the print server, but once the driver is installed on the client workstation, it defaults to colour!? It's a strange setup!
            I think Tom means to setup 2 printers with the relevant config applied on both and then deploy that to the users.

So essentially you will have

Ricoh_Colour
            Ricoh_BW

The printer settings should be pulled from the server when the printer is installed.

Comment

Precisely - two queues pointing to the same print device.

Make sure you configure DEFAULT PROPERTIES as well as PROPERTIES
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X