Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird behavior in WSUS

Hi,

I have installed WSUS on a W2003 server on my domain, and i have a weird behavior happening.

i have created 5 groups for the machines:
    desktops (10)
    laptops (21)
    servers (5)
    domain controllers (2)
    test machine (2)

plus the: "all computers" (40) and "unassigned" (0) groups.

the group that contains the laptops is giving me a headache.

There should be 34 laptops appearing in the list, but there are only 21 at the moment.

Today, I decided to go around and check on the missing laptops what was wrong.

I went to work to laptop02 and I did a "windows update" to go directly to the microsoft site.

While I was on the site, the notification about a new patch appeared, so i stopped the downloads from the windows update and got the updates from the WSUS.

I went to check on the WSUS and laptop02 had appeared in the list, but there were still 21 laptops appearing only.

I then went to work on laptop 27 and the same happened.

I went back to the WSUS and laptop02 had disappeared from the WSUS!!

I do not understand why this happens. Is there a maximum to the number of machines a WSUS can take care of? It seems to be topped off at 40.

Thanks in advance

Re: Weird behavior in WSUS

Have the laptops been imaged??

Take a look at No 5:

http://wuteam.blogspot.com/2005/07/w...cks-known.html

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

yes, they have been imaged using drive image.

As there were 30-odd machines to do over the weekend, i had someone help me, and i guess he did not use newsid as i did.

thanks for the pointer =)

i will run newsid on the machines that give me the problem.

Comment

Glad to have helped

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X